Vice police minister Pham Quy Ngo dies at 60


Updated : 02/19/2014 12:06 GMT + 7

After two weeks’ hospitalization for liver cancer, Deputy Minister of Public Security Senior Lieutenant General Pham Quy Ngo passed away aged 60 on Tuesday night.

>> Internal affairs body to handle claims against vice police minister
>> Prosecutors receive case involving vice police minister
>> Not enough proof for bribery confessed by ex-Vinalines boss
>> Probe ordered into 'state secret' case involving vice minister
>> Vice police minister is the mole: shocking court testimony

The senior official died at Military Central Hospital 108 in Hanoi at 9:05 pm on February 18, according to a report from the Ministry of Public Security.

Ngo had suffered from cancer, and he underwent a liver transplant in Singapore five years ago. However, about a year ago, transplant rejection symptoms appeared and he had to be hospitalized, a source told Tuoi Tre.

About a week before he died, Ngo was sent to Japan for treatment but due to his fatal condition, he was taken back to the hospital and died yesterday.

The body of the deceased is being kept at the hospital.

A plan for his funeral as well as a funeral organizing board has not yet been arranged. 

Pham Quy Ngo was born on December 24, 1954 in Dong Cuong Commune, Dong Hung District, northern Thai Binh Province. He was admitted to the Communist Party of Vietnam on April 19, 1980.  

After graduating from the University of People’s Police, Ngo worked at the Thai Binh Province Police and was once the director of the provincial Police with the rank of Colonel. During that time, he successfully handled the unrest in the province in 1997 and was praised for such good performance.    

He was later assigned to monitor, direct and handle the case of forced withdrawal of land from Doan Van Vuon, a farmer in Tien Lang District, Hai Phong City in early 2012.

On February 14, 2006, he was appointed deputy director of the  General Department of People’s Police under the Ministry of Public Security, and was promoted from Colonel to Major General.

Five months later, under another appointment of the ministry, Ngo concurrently held the post of the Head of the ministry’s Investigation Police Agency.

On January 28, 2008, he became the director of the General Department of People’s Police and in 2010, he was director of the General Police Department for Crime Prevention and Control.

On August 12, 2010, he was appointed Deputy Minister of Public Security and on January 18, 2011, he was elected a member of the Central Executive Committee of the Communist Party of Vietnam (the 11th tenure).

On July 22, 2013, Ngo was promoted to Senior Lieutenant General. 

As a Deputy Minister of Public Security, Ngo was assigned to be in charge of the General Police Department for Crime Prevention and Control, and he was also made the head of the board of investigation of the corruption case at the Vietnam National Shipping Lines (Vinalines).

He later was assigned to be in charge of the General Police Department for Administrative Management of Social Order.