JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Lenovo-owned Motorola returns to Vietnam after almost four years

Friday, November 27, 2015, 10:37 GMT+7
Lenovo-owned Motorola returns to Vietnam after almost four years
Sridhar Ramaswamy, Asia Pacific advertising and brand director for Lenovo, introduces the five Motorola smartphone models at the ceremony in Ho Chi Minh City on November 25, 2015.

Motorola Mobility, an erstwhile American phone maker, has staged an official comeback to Vietnam after nearly four years, with five of its latest smartphone models putting on sale in a market dominated by Samsung and Apple products.

Motorola Mobility, now a subsidiary of the Chinese personal computer and mobile device maker Lenovo, held a product launch ceremony in Ho Chi Minh City on Wednesday to showcase its Moto X, X Play, X Style, G and E handsets.

The Android-based Razr, released in December 2011, was arguably the last Motorola product to be officially distributed in Vietnam before the company neglected the Southeast Asian country.

Several other Motorola devices were still available in Vietnam after the Razr phone but all of them were unofficially imported from other markets, according to tech website ICTNews.

The disappearance of Motorola handsets from the Vietnamese market came after Motorola Mobility was acquired by Google in a $12.5 billion deal in August 2011.

The acquisition enabled Google to obtain more than 20,000 mobile patents from Motorola, but the U.S. tech titan only took short-lived ownership of the company.

In January 2014 Google announced the sale of Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for $2.91 billion, with the Chinese firm revealing that the acquisition would pave the way for it to enter the U.S. smartphone market.

Lenovo has also exerted effort to bring the Motorola brand back to the Asia-Pacific region following the deal.

Vietnam is the first Southeast Asian market Lenovo chose to introduce the flagship Moto X, thanks to the country’s rapidly growing smartphone market, Dillon Ye, vice president of smartphone sales in Asia Pacific with Lenovo, said at the ceremony.

Ye said in a separate interview with ICTNews that Motorola does not consider any smartphone maker its rival in Vietnam.

The company also sets no ranking target and will only focus on product development and customer service, Ye asserted.

Motorola has been absent from Vietnam for years so intensive marketing campaigns are essential to draw customers’ attention to its comeback, he said.

Samsung, the world’s top smartphone maker, remained the market leader by sales volume in Vietnam, with a market share of 30 percent in the second quarter of this year, according to U.S. market research firm International Data Corporation.

The South Korean company also led the market by sales value, with a 36 percent market share, followed by Apple, which grabbed 24 percent of the market.

The Vietnamese smartphone market is valued at $2.5 billion with an expected growth rate of 35 percent in 2015, John Sculley, former chief executive officer of Apple, told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper in September.

As of the end of 2014, there had been 22 million smartphone users in Vietnam, according to different statistics.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

TUOI TRE NEWS

More

Read more

;

Photos

VIDEOS

Experience summer sand-boarding in Mui Ne

Sand-boarding, a popular activity amongst local children in the coastal tourism town of Mui Ne in south-central Vietnam, is attracting hundreds of tourists to the Red Sand Dunes

Young maple trees given better protection as Hanoi enters rainy season

The trees are currently growing well, with green leaves and healthy branches.

Hunting skinks for food in southern Vietnam

Skink meat is known to be soft, tasty, and highly nutritious.

Vietnamese-made app allows people to grow real veggies via smartphone

Nguyen Thi Duyen, a young engineer in Hanoi, developed the app and its related services to help busy people create their own veggie gardens.

Chinese tourists hit by Vietnamese over dine and dash

Four Chinese were reportedly injured, with one having a broken arm.

Latest news