Below are some of the main stories published in the Vietnamese press:
- On June 4, national TV station Vietnam Television broadcast a 2-minute-31-second video clip capturing the aggressive attack of Chinese fishing boat 11209 on Vietnamese fishing boat DNa-90152 on May 26. The boat was towed to a port in the central Vietnamese city of Da Nang after it sank due to the attack when it was operating about 17 nautical miles south-southwest of the location of China’s drilling rig Haiyang Shiyou 981, which has been placed illegally in Vietnamese waters since May 1.
- The Electricity Group of Vietnam has recently opened a gallery under the theme of nuclear power, exhibiting the samples of nuclear power plants and equipment at 11 Cua Bac in Hanoi.
- More than 10,000 staffers of the Korean company Nobland Vietnam has donated over VND400 million (US$18,868) to the “Chung Suc Bao Ve Chu Quyen Bien Dong” (Join Hands to Protect Vietnam's Sovereignty over the East Sea) fund-raising program launched by Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper. The program was initiated after China positioned the oil rig in Vietnamese waters. Until 5:00 pm on June 4, it raised more than VND33 billion ($1.56 million).
- On June 4, Dao Anh Dung, deputy chairman of the Can Tho City People’s Committee, said he has sent a dispatch, giving the green light for the Vietnamese budget carrier VietJet Air to offer services on the Can Tho – Da Nang route.
- The Prime Minister has recently sent a dispatch to the Ministry of Education and Training, the Ministry of Planning and Investment, the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Home Affairs and the HCMC People’s Committee, affirming the establishment of the Fulbright University Vietnam in the form of a university with foreign capital. The school will operate on a non-profit basis.
- Videos featuring students cheating during the 2014 national high school graduation exam at classrooms believed to be in Hanoi and Hung Yen has been spread over the Internet right after the examination finished yesterday. Deputy Minister of Education and Training Nguyen Vinh Hien has asked competent agencies to look into the footage.
- The final round of this year’s Miss Vietnam beauty pageant will take place on Phu Quoc Island off the southern province of Kien Giang from November 26 to December 6.
- The international film and television technology exhibition Telefilm 2014 will be organized in Ho Chi Minh City from June 5 to 7 at the Saigon Exhibition ＆ Convention Center in District 7. The event will gather around 300 booths of 50 exhibitors from many countries and territories.