Vietnamese authorities have imposed a three-month suspension on the operation of an eatery in the famous tourism city of Vung Tau in southern Vietnam and may revoke its license for “overcharging” a Japanese guest last month.
>> Vietnam restaurant says it committed ‘mistake’ in charging Japanese guest The suspension was announced on Monday for Hau Long Son restaurant, at 94 Hoang Hoa Tham Street in Vung Tau, by a joint inspection team of the city government at a meeting with the eatery’s owner, Nguyen Nhu Khanh.
The penalty was levied following the case in which a Japanese national named Kado had VND22 million (US$1,005) deducted from his Visa card after he used the card to pay for dinner, billed at only VND2.2 million ($100.5), at the restaurant on January 19. Along with the suspension, the team fined the eatery VND10 million ($457) for failing to pay back the overcharged amount to its guest. The team said that when the suspension term ends, it will propose that the Vung Tau People’s Committee revoke the restaurant’s license permanently. The city's authorities will also be asked not to license Khanh, 28, to engage in providing food services, the team said. At the meeting, the head of the inspection team briefed the case, which was reported by N.T.H.T., a Vietnamese woman who accompanied Kado at the said dinner. Accordingly, on the night of January 19, Kado and T. ate a few dishes at the restaurant and were billed VND2.2 million. Since he did not have enough cash for the bill, the Japanese man suggested paying with his Visa card.
Hau Long Son restaurant, at 94 Hoang Hoa Tham Street in Vung Tau City, is pictured on the afternoon of February 2, 2015. Photo: Tuoi Tre
Khanh and Kado then went to the restaurant’s point-of-sale (POS) machine and made a payment.
After leaving the restaurant, T. examined the payment slip from the machine and discovered that VND22 million had been deducted from the card. Regarding the cause of the overcharging, Khanh said it was the “machine’s fault.”
He added that he tried to return the "overcharged" amount to the Japanese diner via bank transfer on January 20 and 26 but the transaction failed. Khanh said that on January 28, he successfully transferred the amount to Kado’s account. The inspection team said it had yet to conclude whether Khanh had made such a transfer or not.
T. said that the Japanese man is still staying at a hotel in Vung Tau but he refused to answer her phone calls out of distrust. After the meeting, Khanh had the restaurant’s signboard removed and said he will not do business in Vung Tau anymore.