Briefs of some leading news stories published on Saturday (February 14) in Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper. Happy Valentine's Day, dear readers!
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and his Vietnamese counterpart Nguyen Tan Dung had a talk over phone on February 13. Both sides expressed delight at the strong development of the Bilateral relationship, as evidenced by the upgrade of the extensive ties to the Strategic partnership for peace and prosperity in Asia in 2014.
- On February 13, the Ho Chi Minh City Federation of Labor held an event gathering more than 1,600 people from 500 disadvantaged labor families around the city. Six apricot blossom trees were sold at nearly VND800 million (US$37,282) at an auction at the event. The money has been donated to help labors who were in labor accidents.
- Dr. Pham Thi Thanh Ta, head of the resuscitator department of the HCMC’s Pediatrics Hospital 1, said the hospital has done successfully a cardiac surgery for a neonatal patient right at the patient’s bed, not at the surgery room as usual. Before the surgery date, the health of the 4-day-old patient, who was diagnosed with congenital heart defect, was in a bad condition so that she could not be moved to the surgery room though it was 10m away from the her bed.
- Many couples in Vietnam have considered the approaching Tet holiday as well as Valentine’s Day a chance for them to travel around the country and do charity to help people.
- On February 13, representatives of southern Binh Duong provincial Department of Health on February 13 came to Tan Hiep Phat Co. Ltd. and announced to have unscheduled inspection over the company’s food safety. The company has recently caused stir due to the incident in which it agreed to pay half a billion dong to buy the silence of a customer who found a dead fly in an unopened bottle of its energy drink, but also reported to the police, who eventually arrested the customer for alleged “confiscation of property.”
- The Flower Festival at Tao Dan Park in District 1 has opened to public on February 13. The event will run until the end of February 24 (the sixth day of Lunar New Year).
- The 2015 Tet Flower Street on Ham Nghi Street in District 1 is in the last steps to be finished with 120,000 pots of flowers being installed. The flower street is scheduled to be opened on February 15.
- From the Lunar New Year’s Eve to the end of the 3rd day of Tet (February 21), readers who access to tuoitre.vn will have chance to participate in a Tet game with a variety of prizes.