A young Vietnamese girl from the north-central province of Quang Binh has recovered after being treated for a severe allergic reaction to drinking soda.
The information was confirmed by the Pediatric Department of the Hue Central Hospital in the central province of Thua-Thien Hue on Tuesday.
Eleven-year-old Ho Thi Kieu Anh downed a soda bottle which she bought on her way home from school two weeks ago, said Ho Quang Lam, the girl’s father.
Two hours after drinking the soda, the girl showed signs of a severe allergic reaction, including a rash across her body which could potentially lead to blisters, and was taken to the emergency facility of a local clinic.
Anh was transferred to a general hospital in Bo Trach District of Quang Binh Province two days later, and then to the Vietnam-Cuba Friendship Hospital before being taken to the Hue Central Hospital in Thua-Thien Hue Province, according to the father.
The young girl was put under emergency care to monitor her serious allergic symptoms including full body blisters, ulcerated lips, high fever and difficulty breathing, said Nguyen Huu Son, a doctor from the Pediatric Department of the Hue Central Hospital, who are treating the victim.
According to the doctors’ diagnosis, Anh suffers from Lyell’s syndrome, or toxic epidermal necrolysis, which includes a high risk of death without proper treatment.
The main cause of the syndrome in Anh’s case is assumed to be the soda, Dr. Son explained.
Anh has now recovered and been discharged from the hospital after being provided with appropriate allergy medications in the form of an injection and topical application.