JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Local fishing boat attacked by Chinese vessel in Vietnam’s waters, yet again

Local fishing boat attacked by Chinese vessel in Vietnam’s waters, yet again

Tuesday, January 19, 2016, 14:10 GMT+7

A boat full of fishermen from the central Vietnamese province of Quang Ngai was operating in Vietnam’s waters when it was hit multiple times by a Chinese vessel on Thursday last week.

A representative from the Vietnam Fisheries Resources Surveillance told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper on Monday that they had received a report of the attack and were investigating the case.

At around 5:00 am on January 14, the fishing boat QNg 98137 carrying 10 fishermen from Quang Ngai was operating in an area 90 nautical miles off the central city of Da Nang when it was attacked by a vessel with a steel hull, white cabin and Chinese letters on its side, Vo Ngoc Minh, engine chief of the boat, recounted.

After the first direct hit on the fishing boat's cabin, the fishermen rushed to retrieve all of the fishing nets to prevent them from being damaged, according to Minh.

The Chinese vessel then crashed into the boat for a second time, this time at its starboard side, he said.

The attack caused severe damage to communication cables, the cabin and several other parts of the ship, with total loss estimated between VND200 million (US$8,928) and VND300 million ($13,392), Minh stated.

The ship is now anchoring at Tho Quang Port in Da Nang to be fixed and reinforced, according to the fisherman.

Captain Vo Long of the fishing boat added that they began their fishing trip on December 31, 2015 and cast their nets in the area north of Vietnam’s Hoang Sa (Paracel) archipelago, the traditional fishing grounds of Quang Ngai fishers.

There were two men on the vessel speaking a Chinese dialect before it crashed into the fishing boat twice, the captain said.

On January 1, a Chinese vessel was held responsible for ramming and sinking a boat of Quang Ngai fishermen when it was fishing some 70 nautical miles off Con Co Island, administered by the central province of Quang Tri.

In this instance, Chinese authorities were asked by their Vietnamese counterparts to clarify the case. 

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Tuoi Tre News

More

Read more

;

Photos

VIDEOS

‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Latest news