A group of 46 tourists, all from Laos, were hospitalized with food poisoning early on Sunday morning in central Vietnam after dining at a local restaurant the evening before.
The restaurant behind the mass poisoning has been identified as N&M restaurant on 9/2 Street in Hai Chau District, Da Nang, according to a report issued on Monday by the municipal Department of Health.
The restaurant was found to be in violation of multiple food safety and hygiene regulations.
According to an urgent report sent to the People’s Committee of Da Nang, the Laotian tourists had dinner at N&M at around 7:30 pm on Saturday.
The menu included a range of local cuisine including fish salad, steamed clams with lemongrass, steamed squids, roasted pork, fried eggs, steamed crabs, roasted prawns with garlic, stir-fried vegetables, deep-fried fish, crab soup and rice.
Between 3:30 am and 4:30 am on Sunday, 45 tourists began developing symptoms including stomach ache, headache, fever, diarrhea and vomiting, the report read.
They were immediately admitted to Hoan My Da Nang Hospital for emergency treatment, where they were diagnosed with food poisoning.
The hospital reported treating a total of 46 tourists, one patient higher than the number announced by Da Nang’s Department of Health.
The N&M restaurant has covered all medical expenses, as well as the extra costs of their extended stay in Vietnam.
On Monday morning, a team of food inspectors conducted a comprehensive inspection at the N&M restaurant, where multiple hygiene standard violations were found.
Da Nang’s food safety and hygiene watchdog has summoned the restaurant owner in order to proceed with administrative penalties.