JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

​Foreigners lauded for saving children trapped in burning motel in Da Nang

Thursday, May 03, 2018, 15:32 GMT+7
​Foreigners lauded for saving children trapped in burning motel in Da Nang
French national Jean Christophe receives a certificate of commendation from the administration of Lien Chieu District in Da Nang City in central Vietnam on May 2, 2018. Photo: Tuoi Tre

Two foreign tourists have been commended by the administration of Lien Chieu District in the central city of Da Nang for their bravery and selflessness in entering a burning motel to save two children trapped inside.

The incident happened at around 10:30 am on Tuesday when an electrical short-circuit sparked a fire on the third floor of a motel on Kinh Duong Vuong Street in Lien Chieu District, Da Nang.

The motel was closed at the time, with nobody inside except for the owners’ children who were locked there.

As locals screamed for help, Russian national Valeria, 32, and French national Jean Christophe, 46, ran from the property they were staying at, opposite the burning house, to rescue the children.

The two made their way onto the terrace of a next-door building and climbed over to the motel’s third floor where the children were trapped.

Valeria broke the glass door with his hand while Christophe and some locals helped carry the kids out of harm’s way.

Valeria sustained a deep cut on his right hand and lost a lot of blood during the incident.

Valeria (R) sustains a deep cut on his right hand after saving two children from a burning house in Da Nang City in central Vietnam on May 1, 2018. Photo: Da Nang Fire Department
Valeria (R) sustains a deep cut on his right hand after saving two children from a burning house in Da Nang City in central Vietnam on May 1, 2018. Photo: Da Nang Fire Department

On Wednesday, officials from the administration of Lien Chieu District visited the foreign tourists at their accommodation to commend them for their heroic actions.

Thai Thi Be, owner of the property where the foreigners were staying, described the two as friendly and likable, having got on well with everybody since their arrival.

Speaking with Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper after receiving his certificate of commendation, Christophe said anybody in his place would have done the same, and that the only thing in his mind at the time was bringing anyone trapped inside the burning building to safety.

French national Jean Christophe receives a certificate of commendation from the administration of Lien Chieu District in Da Nang City in central Vietnam on May 2, 2018. Clip: Tuoi Tre

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Tuan Son / Tuoi Tre News

More

Vietnam’s most polluted road

A concrete road through Dai Dong Commune in the northern province of Bac Ninh’s Tien Du Districthas been occupied by trash in recent years and even been dubbed Vietnam’s most polluted road

Read more

;

Photos

VIDEOS

Experience summer sand-boarding in Mui Ne

Sand-boarding, a popular activity amongst local children in the coastal tourism town of Mui Ne in south-central Vietnam, is attracting hundreds of tourists to the Red Sand Dunes

Young maple trees given better protection as Hanoi enters rainy season

The trees are currently growing well, with green leaves and healthy branches.

Hunting skinks for food in southern Vietnam

Skink meat is known to be soft, tasty, and highly nutritious.

Vietnamese-made app allows people to grow real veggies via smartphone

Nguyen Thi Duyen, a young engineer in Hanoi, developed the app and its related services to help busy people create their own veggie gardens.

Chinese tourists hit by Vietnamese over dine and dash

Four Chinese were reportedly injured, with one having a broken arm.

Latest news