JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Vietnam’s first novel coronavirus patient has recovered

Vietnam’s first novel coronavirus patient has recovered

Tuesday, January 28, 2020, 17:03 GMT+7
Vietnam’s first novel coronavirus patient has recovered
The isolation area where two Chinese coronavirus-infected patients are treated at Cho Ray Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City. Photo: Tuoi Tre / Thien Chuong

One of the first two new coronavirus-infected patients confirmed in Vietnam last week has recovered, the Vietnamese Ministry of Health announced on Tuesday.

Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests on January 25 and 27 showed Chinese Li Zichao, 28, clear of a new coronavirus which has sparked a pneumonia outbreak in China’s Wuhan City.

The epidemic caused by a new strain of the coronavirus family that caused SARS and MERS first surfaced in Hubei’s capital city in December 2019.

The virus has spread to other places across China and many other countries including the U.S., France, Australia, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, and more.

Li Zichao can currently breathe himself, be conscious, eat and sleep well, get rid of fever, and be capable of performing daily activities, health officials said.

Li, who has lived in the Mekong Delta province of Long An for the past four months, got the disease from his father, Li Ding, who visited him from Wuhan.

Li Ding and his wife arrived in Hanoi from Wuhan on January 13, before taking a domestic flight to Nha Trang City in the south-central province of Khanh Hoa, where they met their son who came there to see them.

The family stayed at a hotel in Nha Trang from January 17 to 19 before traveling to Ho Chi Minh City by train.

They continued to travel by taxi to Long An on January 20.

During their trip, the father started to have a fever on January 17, while his son developed similar symptoms on January 20.

Two days later, they were admitted to Binh Chanh District Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City, and later to the higher-level Cho Ray Hospital in the southern metropolis.

The father and son were confirmed to be infected with the novel coronavirus the next day, becoming the first infections in Vietnam.

Deputy Minister of Health Nguyen Truong Son works with doctors at Cho Ray Hospital on January 23. Photo: Tuoi Tre/ Thien Chuong

Deputy Minister of Health Nguyen Truong Son (C) works with doctors at Cho Ray Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City on January 23. Photo: Tuoi Tre / Thien Chuong

While the son is said to have already recovered, the father has also been conscious, able to breathe smoothly with the assistance of an oxygen ventilator, and had steady blood pressure.

The 66-year-old patient with many background diseases has been free from fever since January 25, as well as eating and sleeping well.

X-ray films showed his lung’s injuries have no longer progressed.

Doctors are waiting for the patient’s latest test to conclude if he has been cured.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Tuoi Tre News

More

Read more

;

Photos

VIDEOS

‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Latest news