Vietnam confirmed six new coronavirus patients – including one eight-year-old and an imported case – four recoveries, and two deaths on Monday, according to the National Steering Committee for COVID-19 Prevention and Control.
Five of the new infections were linked to Da Nang, which is Vietnam’s outbreak epicenter, the committee said, adding that one case was imported and quarantined upon arrival at the airport.
A young boy, aged eight, was recorded among the six new patients while the imported case is being treated in Ho Chi Minh City, the committee said.
The boy comes from Hoi An City, Quang Nam Province.
He is the grandchild of an infected person who had been treated for thrombocythemia, a disease in which the bone marrow produces too many platelets, before her COVID-19 diagnosis in Hoi An on August 5.
Two of the four additional cases registered in Da Nang on Monday are medical personnel at Da Nang Hospital, a major cluster.
Four coronavirus patients were discharged from the Da Nang Hospital for Lung Diseases the same day, when two were confirmed dead as well.
Vietnam has reported 847 coronavirus infections since January 23, when it detected the first-ever patient, the Ministry of Health said.
Three hundred and eighteen of the total are imported cases quarantined upon arrival.
A combined 399 patients have recovered from COVID-19, whereas 13 have lost their lives.
Two of the fatalities were below 50 years of age, two above 50, and the rest over 60.
All bar one had critical pre-existing conditions, as a 55-year-old patient succumbed to the disease on Sunday, having merely had a history of hypertension.
The health ministry has confirmed 389 cases traced to Da Nang since July 25, when the first domestic infection was recorded there after Vietnam had gone 99 days without any documented community transmission.
Two hundred and seventy-three of those cases have been logged in the coastal city to date.
The pathogen has spread to 14 other provinces and cities.