Doctors from Nghe An Province, Vietnam saved the lives of three middle school students on Wednesday after they ate a poisonous plant called ‘heartbreak grass,' or la ngon, in a suicide attempt.
The three middle school students, X.Y.L., X.Y.R., and M.Y.R., all from Na Ngoi Commune, were admitted to a nearby medical station with signs of heartbreak grass poisoning on Wednesday afternoon.
All three were unconscious by the time they were admitted to the hospital, and doctors struggled to measure their heart rates and blood pressure.
Local doctors immediately conducted first-aid colon cleansing and resuscitated the victims with intravenous fluid and cardiac pacemakers.
The victims are now in stable condition and can be monitored at home, Nguyen Phuc Quang, a doctor at the medical station, said on Thursday.
According to preliminary investigation, the students decided to consume the heartbreak grass due to a personal dispute.
Gelsemium elegans, commonly known as heartbreak grass or la ngon, is classified by the Vietnamese healthcare sector as one of the most poisonous plants that can be found in the country.
The herb contains gelsemine, which, when ingested, can cause dizziness, convulsions, and death.