JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Hanoi woman gets marijuana poisoning after eating popcorn bought online

Hanoi woman gets marijuana poisoning after eating popcorn bought online

Tuesday, December 06, 2022, 11:32 GMT+7
Hanoi woman gets marijuana poisoning after eating popcorn bought online
Previous cases of marijuana poisoning involved other foods and snacks like cakes, biscuits, and candies, doctors said.

A 56-year-old woman in Hanoi was hospitalized after vomiting and feeling dizzy upon consuming just two pieces of popcorn, with the hospital later confirming that she suffered from marijuana poisoning.

P.T.C., 56, living in Hanoi’s Thanh Xuan District, was taken to Bach Mai Hospital in Dong Da District with dilated pupils and in delirium on November 29, according to Dr. Nguyen Trung Nguyen, director of the hospital’s Poison Control Center.

Her family said the woman had eaten two pieces of popcorn ordered online by her child at 4:30 pm the same day, before she began to show symptoms of dizziness and vomiting one hour later. 

A urine test revealed the presence of THC, the psychoactive component of marijuana.

Doctors diagnosed her with marijuana poisoning, and following treatment, she overcame the critical symptoms.

Dr. Nguyen said it was the first time that the hospital had received a case of marijuana-related poisoning after consumption of popcorn. 

Previous cases of marijuana poisoning involved other foods and snacks like cakes, biscuits, and candies, he added.

Nguyen said shortcomings in the management of online goods have allowed narcotics-laced food products to spread quickly in the market.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

A 56-year-old woman in Hanoi was hospitalized after vomiting and feeling dizzy upon consuming just two pieces of popcorn, with the hospital later confirming that she suffered from marijuana poisoning.

P.T.C., 56, living in Hanoi’s Thanh Xuan District, was taken to Bach Mai Hospital in Dong Da District with dilated pupils and in delirium on November 29, according to Dr. Nguyen Trung Nguyen, director of the hospital’s Poison Control Center.

Her family said the woman had eaten two pieces of popcorn ordered online by her child at 4:30 pm the same day, before she began to show symptoms of dizziness and vomiting one hour later. 

A urine test revealed the presence of THC, the psychoactive component of marijuana.

Doctors diagnosed her with marijuana poisoning, and following treatment, she overcame the critical symptoms.

Dr. Nguyen said it was the first time that the hospital had received a case of marijuana-related poisoning after consumption of popcorn. 

Previous cases of marijuana poisoning involved other foods and snacks like cakes, biscuits, and candies, he added.

Nguyen said shortcomings in the management of online goods have allowed narcotics-laced food products to spread quickly in the market.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Bao Anh - Duong Lieu / Tuoi Tre News

More

Read more

;

Photos

VIDEOS

‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Latest news

Missing radioactive capsule found in Western Australia

Australian authorities on Wednesday found a radioactive capsule that was lost in the vast Outback after nearly a week-long search along a 1,400 km (870-mile) stretch of highway, an emergency services official said