JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

YouTube terminates Vietnam’s state TV channel over copyright infringement

Tuesday, March 01, 2016, 09:59 GMT+7
YouTube terminates Vietnam’s state TV channel over copyright infringement
A photo illustration shows YouTube on a cellphone, in front of a YouTube copyright message, in central Bosnian town of Zenica, early June 18, 2014.

The YouTube channel of the state-run Vietnam Television (VTV) was suddenly suspended on Monday, with the national broadcaster admitting later the same day that the termination was due to copyright infringement regarding its content.

On Tuesday morning, the channel, titled VTV - Đài Truyền hình Việt Nam, remained inaccessible, with a message saying it has been terminated because YouTube had “received multiple third-party claims of copyright infringement regarding material the user posted.”

VTV began reaching viewers via YouTube in June 2014, and the channel had attracted some 95,000 subscribers with nearly 10,000 videos posted before it was terminated.

vtv-vn-youtube-1456742719.jpgA screen grab showing the terminated YouTube channel of VTV. Photo: Tuoi Tre

The state TV channel said in a press release around 10:00 pm on Monday that it did use copyrighted content without permission in some programs.

VTV said it was notified by YouTube of the channel termination over third-party claims of copyright infringement on Sunday.

“The claims came after some VTV editors used online content in their programs without the permission of the copyright holders, which violated our production procedures,” the broadcaster said.

“VTV has been enacting strict measures with respect to authorship and copyright protection.”

The national broadcaster also said it is actively working with relevant parties to resolve the copyright issues in order to reactivate its YouTube channel.

“Our content and programs can still be accessed online via the website of VTV and the mobile app VTVGo,” the television firm noted.

VTV has been accused of using videos filmed by others in their programs without their permission, according to tech website ICTNews.

In September 2015, Bui Minh Tuan, who runs a YouTube channel showcasing a number of drone videos, lodged a complaint to the VTV managerial board, saying the broadcaster had used seven of his videos without prior consent.

His aerial footage of natural beauties in the northern province of Ha Giang was used in a morning show aired on September 2, 2015, without proper credit being given to their true author, according to Tuan.

Tuan said VTV had infringed the copyright of his videos five times, and only “phoned me to apologize when the programs had already been broadcast.”

Tuan said he always declares copyright on his You Tube channel, and also provides detailed contact information.

“If VTV had called me to ask for permission and fully credited me in their programs, I would have let them use my videos free of charge,” he told ICTNews.

“But I do not know why they could not even make a phone call, instead of openly stealing my footage time after time, despite my repeated complaints.”

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

TUOI TRE NEWS

More

Read more

;

Photos

VIDEOS

Experience summer sand-boarding in Mui Ne

Sand-boarding, a popular activity amongst local children in the coastal tourism town of Mui Ne in south-central Vietnam, is attracting hundreds of tourists to the Red Sand Dunes

Young maple trees given better protection as Hanoi enters rainy season

The trees are currently growing well, with green leaves and healthy branches.

Hunting skinks for food in southern Vietnam

Skink meat is known to be soft, tasty, and highly nutritious.

Vietnamese-made app allows people to grow real veggies via smartphone

Nguyen Thi Duyen, a young engineer in Hanoi, developed the app and its related services to help busy people create their own veggie gardens.

Chinese tourists hit by Vietnamese over dine and dash

Four Chinese were reportedly injured, with one having a broken arm.

Latest news

Six shot dead in Czech hospital attack

Police posted on Twitter a picture of a man they initially identified as a suspect but later clarified was a witness, saying they were also searching for another person