Briefs of some of leading news stories published Tuesday on Tuoi Tre Newspaper:
- A Mai Linh taxi driver in the central city of Da Nang has returned VND50 million (roughly $2,500USD) and 10 credit cards to an Australian couple.
- The wild elephant, who had been stuck in the trap believed set up by poachers in the central highlands province of Dak Lak, will be released back to the wild on the morning of May 22 after being rescued on May 14.
- Customs officials at Ho Chi Minh City-based Tan Son Nhat international airport on Tuesday found 4.18kg heroin in the luggage of two Vietnamese passengers when they were preparing for a flight to Australia.
- A construction worker on Tuesday fell to death from the 11th floor of an administrative building under construction in the central city of Da Nang.
- Authorities in the Mekong Delta province of Ca Mau in southern Vietnam are investigating into claims that two forest rangers of Kien Van protected forest shot an alleged wood poacher.
- A senior police officer in Tra Van commune in Tra My district of Quang Nam central province has been charged with murder. On May 20, he stabbed a local civil official when they were drinking.
- Authorities in Ho Chi Minh City plan to build a flyover at Nguyen Kiem and Nguyen Thai Son roundabout in Phu Nhuan district. The project costs VND441 billion (US$21 million).
- Consumer price index (CPI) of Ha Noi and Ho Chi Minh City in May declined 0.16% and 0.22% respectively against the last month.
Australian famous limbless man Nick Vujicic will arrive at Ho Chi Minh City-based Tan Son Nhat airport this afternoon (May 22), starting a visit to Vietnam. During his time in Vietnam, he will attend 7 major events in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City and meet with readers at all age.
- Vietnam News Agency (VNA) reported on Tuesday that the Speaker of the Australian House of Representatives, Anna Burke, will begin her three-day official visit to Vietnam starting on May 22 at the invitation of National Assembly Chairman Nguyen Sinh Hung.
- The Chairman of the Ho Chi Minh City People’s Committee and member of Party Central Committee, Le Hoang Quan and other municipal officials are visiting Laos, according to VNA.
- According to a VNA report on Tuesday, Vice Chairman of the Vietnam Fatherland Front (VFF) Central Committee Nguyen Lam on May 21 visited and extended his greetings to Most Venerable Thich Pho Tue, Patriarch of the Vietnam Buddhist Sangha’s Patronage Council, at Vien Minh pagoda in Phu Xuyen district, Hanoi on the occasion of Lord Buddha’s 2,557th birthday.