Lam’s declaration appeared to be a win for opponents of the bill, but it was not immediately clear if it would be enough to satisfy them
TAG: Hong Kong
Poor English did not prevent her from giving speeches to persuade foreign donors
A government spokesman said that poor government work over the bill had led to 'substantial controversies and disputes in society, causing disappointment and grief'
Lam has defiantly vowed to press ahead with the controversial legislation despite deep concerns across the Asian financial hub that triggered on Sunday its biggest political demonstration since its handover from British to Chinese rule in 1997
Ho Chi Minh City-based Au Lac JSC confirmed on Tuesday afternoon that the tanker belongs to the company
Jimmy Lai owns Next Media -- which runs the Apple Daily newspaper and website, often publishing articles critical of Beijing -- and had been visiting the city's main pro-democracy protest site in the Admiralty business district
The new plan emerged as President Barack Obama said the United States had played no role in Hong Kong's mass demonstrations, despite Chinese accusations that foreign forces are involved.
A Chinese official told foreign media in Hong Kong on Wednesday that China has seen interference in the city's pro-democracy protests from outside forces
There was little sign of momentum flagging on the fifth day of the "Occupy Central" protest, whose aim has been to occupy sections of the city, including around the Central financial district
The arrests followed a largely peaceful march on Tuesday that protest leaders said brought the biggest crowds onto the streets since the city was handed over from Britain to China in 1997.
- Four, including three riding pillion, die in motorbike crash in Vietnam
- In Vietnam, parents take children to school defying compulsory helmet rule
- Vietnam's bumpy road to development of social network able to compete with Facebook
- Residents advised to stop giving money to beggars in Ho Chi Minh City
- China's top feed producer completes construction at its first pig farm overseas in Vietnam
- U.S. 'deeply concerned' by China's interference in Vietnam oil and gas activity
- Vietjet signs MoU with Orbis to save light for Vietnamese
- Policewoman fined for insulting airline employee at Ho Chi Minh City airport
- Breakfast @ Tuoi Tre News -- August 25
- Vietnamese YouTubers promote street food culture in Saigon