South Korea, April 18 - South Korea's coastguard denied that divers had entered a capsized ferry on Friday in a bid to locate any survivors from an accident that appears to have claimed the lives of hundreds of passengers, many of them schoolchildren. YTN television, South Korea's main cable news station, had reported that eight divers were taking it in turns to search the vessel, but the coastguard said that divers had not yet been deployed inside the stricken vessel. The coastguard also denied television reports that the ship had been fully submerged, over 48 hours after the accident. Experts say it is now unlikely that any of the 268 missing passengers, many of them children from a school on the outskirts of the capital Seoul, will be found alive. So far, 28 of the 475 passengers and crew on the Sewol ferry have been officially declared dead and 179 have been rescued. Rescuers were pumping air into the dining hall of the vessel, where many of the passengers were expected to be. An investigation into the sinking, South Korea's worst maritime accident in 21 years in terms of potential loss of life, has focused on the role of the 69-year old captain and the crew of the ship. "He (the captain) may have been off the bridge.. And the person at the helm at the time was the third officer," Park Jae-eok, an official investigating the accident, told a news conference in Mokpo, a city close to the port where rescue operations are being conducted. It is normal for junior officers to take the helm and the 400 km (300 mile) journey from the mainland port of Incheon to the resort island of Jeju was a regular trip in familiar waters. The accident happened in calm, shallow waters and investigators have focused on the role of the crew as the vessel appeared to have a clean safety record. Parents of the missing schoolchildren blamed the ship's captain for the tragedy after he and shipping company officials made emotional apologies for the loss of life. Witnesses have said that the captain and some of the crew left the vessel while others instructed passengers to remain in place as it began to sink. Theories about the cause of the accident swirled and investigators declined to comment on reports the vessel had turned before it listed to port and capsized. Coastguard officials have said the investigation was focused on possible crew negligence, problems with cargo stowage and structural defects of the vessel, although the ship appears to have passed all of its safety and insurance checks. The captain, Lee Joon-seok, faces criminal investigation, which is standard procedure in South Korea. Both 69-year-old Lee and the company that owns the ship have apologised for the loss of life, although neither has admitted responsibility. Relatives were in mourning overnight in a hospital in the city of Mokpo, close to the port city of Jindo, which is acting as a rescue centre. Some of them spoke bitterly of the captain. "How could he tell those young kids to stay there and jump from the sinking ship himself?" said Ham Young-ho, grandfather of 17-year-old Lee Da-woon, one of the dead. Lee has not made any public statement on whether or why he may have left the vessel before many of the passengers.
More

Vietnam invites China, Laos, Cambodia to send troops for Reunification Day parade
Vietnam is actively preparing for the event
Read more

Thailand may lose up to $8 bln from potential US tariffs, says official
Thailand could suffer a $7 billion to $8 billion export loss from potential U.S. tariffs if the U.S. administration were to even up levies between the two countries, but it has a strategy for trade negotiations, senior officials said on Wednesday
20 hours ago
Britain imposes new travel permit requirement on Europeans
The UK government follows other countries in seeking to strengthen immigration security
20 hours ago
Ghibli effect: ChatGPT usage hits record after rollout of viral feature
Average weekly active users breached the 150 million mark for the first time this year
1 day ago
How a Brazilian chief is staving off Amazon destruction
As you approach his Capoto/Jarina Indigenous territory in Mato Grosso state, large single-crop farms of soybean or maize give way to lush, verdant rainforest
20 hours ago
Nintendo to unveil upgrade to best-selling Switch console
The Switch 2 features a larger screen, a wider stand, and retains its detachable 'Joy-Con' controllers
20 hours agoHighlights

India a promising source market for Phu Quoc’s tourism: official
Kien Giang welcomed around 5,000 Indian visitors in the first two months of 2025
Latest news

India a promising source market for Phu Quoc’s tourism: official
Kien Giang welcomed around 5,000 Indian visitors in the first two months of 2025

Hanoi delays demolition of iconic ‘Shark Jaw’ building until after April 30
An official timeline to remove the building has yet to be finalized

Revealed: Why monkeys are better at yodeling than humans
Monkeys have an additional pair of membranes that gives them a far wider pitch range

Breakfast @ Tuoi Tre News — April 3
Good morning from Vietnam!

Vietnam’s rescuers work in area believed to have 40 people buried in Myanmar
The Vietnamese rescue team has located and handed over five bodies to the families and authorities in Myanmar

Belgium to strengthen all-round ties with Vietnam, ratify EVIPA: King Philippe
Belgium is in the final stages of ratifying the agreement

In Vietnam, personal data, corporate documents sold widely on Internet
A report indicated a significant increase in cyberattacks, data breaches, and security vulnerabilities across the Southeast Asian country

PM wants Vietnamese, US universities to boost cooperation
He urged universities from both sides to strengthen cooperation, focusing on new fields such as ocean space, outer space, and underground space exploration

Thailand may lose up to $8 bln from potential US tariffs, says official
Thailand could suffer a $7 billion to $8 billion export loss from potential U.S. tariffs if the U.S. administration were to even up levies between the two countries, but it has a strategy for trade negotiations, senior officials said on Wednesday

How a Brazilian chief is staving off Amazon destruction
As you approach his Capoto/Jarina Indigenous territory in Mato Grosso state, large single-crop farms of soybean or maize give way to lush, verdant rainforest