A second-grader in the northern Vietnamese province of Lao Cai was hospitalized after a ceiling fan fell on his head on Thursday morning.
The incident took place at around 9:30 am when the students were taking a break, Kim Dong Elementary School reported.
The blades of a running ceiling fan were said to have detached from the base and fallen on a male student, hitting him on the forehead.
The school medics gave the boy first aid and rushed him to a local hospital.
A check-up showed that the child only suffered a flesh wound on his forehead. He was given stitches and is recovering well.
Teachers from the school visited him at the hospital.
Meanwhile, the Bureau of Education and Training in Lao Cai City, the provincial capital, also sent staff to investigate the scene.
|Education officials inspect the scene of an accident where a ceiling fan fell on a student in a classroom at Kim Dong Elementary School in Lao Cai Province, Vietnam, September 10, 2020. Photo: V.Tuan / Tuoi Tre|
A preliminary scene inspection revealed that the accident had been caused by a loose screw.
A comprehensive inspection of facilities on the school premises was conducted on the same day to assess and deal with any other safety risks, said Ha Thu Yen, vice-principal of Kim Dong Elementary School.
According to Yen, the school also had the screws of ceiling fans in all classrooms replaced to avoid a similar accident.
Lao Cai has recorded two accidents related to faulty facilities at local schools in less than a week.
On Monday, the gate of an elementary school in Van Ban District suddenly collapsed, killing three students and injuring three others.