JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

US Ambassador Knapper pays 1st visit to General Giap's grave in Vietnam's Quang Binh

US Ambassador Knapper pays 1st visit to General Giap's grave in Vietnam's Quang Binh

Thursday, April 03, 2025, 13:44 GMT+7
US Ambassador Knapper pays 1st visit to General Giap's grave in Vietnam's Quang Binh
U.S. Ambassador Marc Knapper (wearing a red tie) joins others in paying tribute at the grave of Vietnamese General Vo Nguyen Giap in Quang Dong Commune, Quang Trach District, Quang Binh Province, north-central Vietnam, April 1, 2025. Photo: L.T.

U.S. Ambassador to Vietnam Marc Knapper visited the grave of General Vo Nguyen Giap in Quang Trach District, Quang Binh Province on Tuesday, marking his first tribute to the late Vietnamese general and his second visit to the north-central province.

Knapper and his delegation, accompanied by several provincial leaders, offered incense at the general’s resting place in Quang Dong Commune on Tuesday afternoon, according to the provincial administration.

During a previous visit, Knapper laid flowers at the General Vo Nguyen Giap Memorial House in Le Thuy District, the general’s hometown.

In 2004, Knapper met General Giap in person while he was still alive.

General Giap, born on August 25, 1911 and died on October 4, 2013, led Vietnam’s military to major victories over French forces in 1954 and American troops in 1975.

He was widely respected for his strategic leadership and commanded several critical campaigns, including the Dien Bien Phu Campaign (March 13–May 7, 1954) and the Ho Chi Minh Campaign (April 26–30, 1975).

Earlier the same day, Knapper was welcomed by Quang Binh chairman Tran Phong during a courtesy meeting held to mark the 30th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Vietnam and the United States.

U.S. Ambassador Marc Knapper (L) presents a souvenir to chairman of the Quang Binh administration Tran Phong during his working visit to the province, April 1, 2025, April 1, 2025. Photo: Quoc Nam / Tuoi Tre

U.S. Ambassador Marc Knapper (L) presents a souvenir to chairman of the Quang Binh administration Tran Phong during his working visit to the province, April 1, 2025, April 1, 2025. Photo: Quoc Nam / Tuoi Tre

At the meeting, Knapper noted that the U.S. had previously suspended funding for unexploded ordnance (UXO) clearance projects in some Vietnamese localities, including Quang Binh. However, he said those projects had resumed.

“My visit to Quang Binh is aimed at encouraging those involved in UXO clearance and war-remediation efforts,” he said.

Knapper reaffirmed the U.S. government’s ongoing support for Vietnam, especially Quang Binh, in addressing the legacy of the war.

Chairman Phong expressed appreciation for U.S. humanitarian support, including non-refundable aid and initiatives in education, healthcare, and biodiversity conservation.

He also highlighted Quang Binh’s natural attractions, particularly Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its cave systems. Among them is Son Doong, the world’s largest cave, which has become a favored destination for American tourists.

“In recent years, major U.S. media outlets have extensively covered Quang Binh’s tourism sites, ranking them highly and promoting them to a global audience,” Phong said.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Vinh Tho - Quoc Nam / Tuoi Tre News

More

Read more

;

VIDEOS

‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Latest news