JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Vietnamese boy dead, another hospitalized after drinking strange tube of syrup-like liquid

Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 12:34 GMT+7
Vietnamese boy dead, another hospitalized after drinking strange tube of syrup-like liquid
This illustrative photo supplied by L.H.P.’s family shows tubes containing red liquid that looks similar to the one the child patients had drunk.

A boy is dead and another was hospitalized after drinking a tube containing a syrup-like liquid they had picked up on the road in the southern Vietnamese province of Dong Nai.

The Dong Nai Children’s Hospital said on Monday that it had received eight-year-old L.H.P. and seven-year-old V.N.D.Q. from Phuoc Tan Ward in the province’s Bien Hoa City with symptoms of poisoning at around 9:00 pm on Saturday.

According to Q.’s mother, N.T.S., as neighbors, Q. and P. had hung out at around 5:00 pm on the same day.

While playing, the two children found a tube containing a red liquid that looked like syrup and both drank it.

About two hours later, P. fell into a coma, accompanied by constant general convulsions and a drop in blood pressure.

P. was rushed to Shing Mark Hospital in Bien Hoa, where he was given a CT scan, but no abnormality was detected.

Doctors then tried to treat P.’s convulsions.

But as his health conditions deteriorated, he was transferred to the Dong Nai Children’s Hospital, where doctors gave him mechanical ventilation, injections of anticonvulsants, anti-shock infusion, vasopressor infusion, and heart support.

However, the child had an arrhythmia and a cardiac arrest after that.

He passed away at 2:00 am on Sunday.

Meanwhile, Q. only suffered a headache, dizziness, and nausea.

A doctor tends to V.N.D.Q. at the Dong Nai Children’s Hospital in Dong Nai Province, Vietnam. Photo: A Loc / Tuoi Tre

A doctor tends to V.N.D.Q. at the Dong Nai Children’s Hospital in Dong Nai Province, Vietnam. Photo: A Loc / Tuoi Tre

Hearing P.’s situation, Q.’s family took him to the Dong Nai Children’s Hospital.

After undergoing a colon cleansing and infusion therapy, Q.’s health has improved, with his test results showing health indicators within normal limits. 

The child patient has continued to be monitored at the hospital.

Doctor Nguyen Van Suu, head of the emergency examination department at the Dong Nai Children's Hospital, said that after the child had been admitted to the emergency room, his family members brought in the red tube with no label in question, which was later determined to belong to the group of rat poisons using fluoride acetate.

According to Dr. Suu, this type of rat poison, originating in China, has been banned for a long time. 

It is a very poisonous drug, with poisoning symptoms occurring quickly just ten minutes after consuming it. 

The first manifestations include vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea, which will be then followed by irritation, convulsions, more severe coma, arrhythmia, hypotension, and death.

“This rat poison group has been banned for a long time,” Dr. Suu said.

"It is very rare.

“These are the first cases that have been treated by the hospital.”

Poisoning due to rodenticides can have lasting effects, especially on kidney function, even if the patient receives timely emergency treatment and survives.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Tuoi Tre News


Read more




Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Experience summer sand-boarding in Mui Ne

Sand-boarding, a popular activity amongst local children in the coastal tourism town of Mui Ne in south-central Vietnam, is attracting hundreds of tourists to the Red Sand Dunes

Young maple trees given better protection as Hanoi enters rainy season

The trees are currently growing well, with green leaves and healthy branches.

Hunting skinks for food in southern Vietnam

Skink meat is known to be soft, tasty, and highly nutritious.

Latest news