JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Three suffer from asphyxiation due to coal heater in north-central Vietnam

Three suffer from asphyxiation due to coal heater in north-central Vietnam

Friday, December 23, 2022, 11:37 GMT+7
Three suffer from asphyxiation due to coal heater in north-central Vietnam
The emergency-toxicology department at the Ha Tinh General Hospital in Ha Tinh Province, Vietnam. Photo: L.M. / Tuoi Tre

A married couple and their child have been hospitalized, with the latter in critical condition, after they became unable to breathe due to a coal heater in their closed room in Ha Tinh Province, north-central Vietnam on Thursday.

Authorities in Cam Binh Commune of Ha Tinh’s Cam Xuyen District, where the incident occurred, said that 34-year-old N.D.P., his wife, N.T.B., and their one-month-old child, N.D.T., were found unconscious in their bedroom by P.’s older brother on Thursday morning.

The brother came to P.’s house to find out why he had not taken his child to school that day.

The three victims were then rushed to hospital for emergency treatment.

Local police checked P.’s house and found that the family had burned coal to keep warm the night before. 

Because the room was closed, all three family members wound up suffocating and fainting.

The Ha Tinh General Hospital, which admitted the three victims at around 7:50 am on Thursday, said that they arrived in a state of shortness of breath, fatigue, and nausea. 

Doctors diagnosed the patients with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal, and wood do not burn correctly, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Currently, P. and B. are in stable condition but still on respiratory support. 

T., however, is intubed and on mechanical ventilation. 

The child is currently receiving treatment at Vietnam National Children’s Hospital.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

A married couple and their child have been hospitalized, with the latter in critical condition, after they became unable to breathe due to a coal heater in their closed room in Ha Tinh Province, north-central Vietnam on Thursday.

Authorities in Cam Binh Commune of Ha Tinh’s Cam Xuyen District, where the incident occurred, said that 34-year-old N.D.P., his wife, N.T.B., and their one-month-old child, N.D.T., were found unconscious in their bedroom by P.’s older brother on Thursday morning.

The brother came to P.’s house to find out why he had not taken his child to school that day.

The three victims were then rushed to hospital for emergency treatment.

Local police checked P.’s house and found that the family had burned coal to keep warm the night before. 

Because the room was closed, all three family members wound up suffocating and fainting.

The Ha Tinh General Hospital, which admitted the three victims at around 7:50 am on Thursday, said that they arrived in a state of shortness of breath, fatigue, and nausea. 

Doctors diagnosed the patients with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal, and wood do not burn correctly, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Currently, P. and B. are in stable condition but still on respiratory support. 

T., however, is intubed and on mechanical ventilation. 

The child is currently receiving treatment at Vietnam National Children’s Hospital.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Bao Anh - Le Minh / Tuoi Tre News

More

Read more

;

Photos

VIDEOS

‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Latest news