Authorities in Vietnam fined a milk tea shop owner over US$1,000 earlier this week after more than a dozen students fell ill following the consumption of his boba tea last month.
The decision to penalize To Quang Hoc, the shop owner in question, was signed on Wednesday by Pham Tien Hung, deputy chairman of the People’s Committee of Buon Ma Thuot City in Dak Lak Province, located in the Central Highlands of Vietnam.
Hoc, 44, was fined VND25 million ($1,032) for selling beverages without obtaining a food safety certificate, leading to his substandard tea causing a mass poisoning case.
He was unable to provide a food safety training certificate and lacked waste disposal facilities, including trash cans, at his shop in Ea Tu Commune, Buon Ma Thuot City.
Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper had reported on November 22 that 17 students of Ly Thuong Kiet Elementary School in Ea Tu were hospitalized over symptoms of vomiting, dizziness, and diarrhea.
Local authorities then found that a parent had invited these students to drink boba tea at Hoc’s shop.