JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Four more bodies found in search for survivors of capsized boat off Florida

Four more bodies found in search for survivors of capsized boat off Florida

Friday, January 28, 2022, 10:27 GMT+7
Four more bodies found in search for survivors of capsized boat off Florida
A view of the U.S. Coast Guard station after the search for 39 people reported missing after their boat capsized in the Atlantic Ocean in what is being called a human smuggling attempt gone awry, at Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S., January 26, 2022. Photo: Reuters

MIAMI -- The U.S. Coast Guard said on Thursday it had found four more bodies off Florida's Atlantic Coast from a boat that capsized over the weekend while engaged in what officials believe was an attempt to smuggle migrants into the United States.

The Coast Guard said it would suspend its search operations by sunset on Thursday unless new information came to light before then.

The four additional bodies found in the last 24 hours makes for a total of five recovered out of 39 people reported missing, Coast Guard Commander Jo-Ann Burdian said at a news briefing in Miami.

"If we don't receive additional specific information to help redirect our search, we'll suspend that active searching," Burdian said.

Rescue crews have been looking for survivors since a boat overturned in rough seas on Sunday morning after it left the Bahamas' Bimini islands, about 50 miles (80 km) east of Miami, on Saturday night.

The vessel capsized about 45 miles (72 km) east of Fort Pierce Inlet, off Florida's Atlantic coast, about midway between Miami and Cape Canaveral.

Rescue crews earlier recovered the body of one person, the Coast Guard said on Wednesday.

The lone survivor was spotted on Tuesday morning by crew members of a private tugboat. The survivor told authorities after his rescue that he was one of 40 people aboard the boat and nobody aboard had been wearing a life jacket, the Coast Guard said.

Coast Guard and U.S. Homeland Security officials have said it was a human smuggling attempt.

Anthony Salisbury, the agent in charge of the Homeland Security office in Miami, said on Thursday it had launched an investigation to prosecute anyone who organized or profited from the venture.

He said he would not comment on the nationalities of the people aboard the boat as it was part of the investigation.

In a separate incident, the Coast Guard reported intercepting a sailing vessel off the Bahamas overloaded with 191 Haitian migrants believed to be headed for Florida on Wednesday.

Vessel crossings of Haitian migrants have grown more frequent as the Caribbean island nation faces worsening economic and political crises, as well as gang-related kidnappings.

The two incidents underscored a surge in migrants seeking passage to Florida in flimsy vessels through the Caribbean by way of the Bahamas, a known hub for seaborne human smuggling. 

Reuters

More

Read more

China Eastern crash probe eyes intentional action - sources

Investigators looking into the crash of a China Eastern Airlines jet are examining whether it was due to intentional action on the flight deck, with no evidence found of a technical malfunction, two people briefed on the matter said

18 hours ago
;

Photos

VIDEOS

‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Latest news