A family of four members has been hospitalized for poisoning treatment after using a bottle of strange essential oil advertised to repel mosquitos in the northern Vietnamese province of Hoa Binh.
The family had purchased an essential oil diffuser and placed it on the first floor of their house, where they utilized the space to run a store, for ten days before moving it to their bedroom on the second floor on Tuesday.
They added essential oil from a bottle with all label and information in South Korean that described the item as an essential oil mosquito repellent environmentally friendly and harmless to children.
When they woke up the next morning, all four members exhibited signs of fatigue, headache, and vomiting.
They were taken to Hoa Binh General Hospital for emergency treatment.
After three days of treatment, the three-year-old and eight-year-old children’s health returned to stable condition.
They have been discharged from the hospital and are being cared for at home by their other family members.
Meanwhile, their parents are still undergoing treatment in the hospital, with the level of poisoning having decreased.
The father suffered the worst as he had often worked on the first floor near the essential oil diffuser.
Dr. Hoang Cong Tinh, head of the intensive care unit at Hoa Binh General Hospital, advised that people be cautious when using essential oils introduced to be capable of repelling mosquitoes, especially those of unknown origin.
Users need to learn about the ingredients of essential oils and instructions for use in advance.
“Ideally, do not use essential oil mosquito repellent regularly and absolutely do not place the diffuser in a closed room,” Dr. Tinh emphasized.