A fire swept through a house in Phan Thiet City, Binh Thuan Province, south-central Vietnam on Thursday, injuring two children and claiming the lives of their mother and a man who attempted to save them.
The blaze broke out at about 7:00 pm at the house on Hai Thuong Lan Ong Street in Phong Nam Commune, Phan Thiet City when Pham Bao Tram, 32, and her two children were trapped inside the house.
Nguyen Huu Don, 34, died while trying to save the three, the Phan Thiet authorities informed.
Other neighbors smashed walls and doors to save Tram and her children, but their efforts were in vain.
|The scene of the house fire. Photo: Duc Trong / Tuoi Tre|
Nguyen Thien Nho, who tried to save the three, recalled that when the house burst into flames, Tram’s husband shouted for help.
As the house has only one entrance, neighbors tried to break down walls but failed.
Nho and some others got an electric shock during the rescue process.
|Firefighters are on duty at the scene of the incident. Photo: Duc Trong / Tuoi Tre|
Firefighters put out the fire at 8:00 pm on the same day and rushed the three to hospital.
At present, the two children are still in hospital.
Colonel Huynh Ngoc Liem, deputy director of the Binh Thuan Police, and Pham Van Nam, secretary of the Phan Thiet City Party Committee, also reached the scene to direct the handling of the incident.
|The house collapses after the fire. Photo: Duc Trong / Tuoi Tre|