Enjoy your breakfast while reading these brief news items on Tuoi Tre News today, December 21, 2014
- A submarine called Ho Chi Minh emerged on Saturday morning at Cam Ranh military port in central Vietnam’s Khanh Hoa Province to welcome a delegation from Ho Chi Minh City. The visit marks the 70th founding anniversary of the Vietnam People’s Army (VPA) and the 25th All People’s Defence Day on December 22.
- Locals who travelled and live in a neighborhood in southern Dong Nai Province’s Thong Nhat District along the National Highway No. 1 panicked when seeing over 100 snakes of different species crawling across the highway on Saturday afternoon. Witnesses said they earlier saw three men getting down from a car and unpacking three sacks as if they were pouring out the contents.
- A search and rescue (SAR) ship of the Maritime Rescue Coordination Center Zone 3 (Vung Tau MRCC) on Saturday afternoon brought 10 fishermen from a sunken ship to Vung Tau City in southern Ba Ria- Vung Tau Province safely. The ship, owned by a fisherman from central Binh Dinh Province, sank some 30 nautical miles off the province’s Con Dao island on Friday evening.
- A 27-year-old man, who was arrested at a rented room in Ho Chi Minh City’s Binh Tan District on Saturday morning, admitted to brutally stabbing and strangling four victims to death to rob them of their motorbikes and some other assets within four months. His latest victim is the owner of a vegetarian food shop in Vung Tau City, some 125 kilometers from HCMC, who was found dead in his own house on early Monday morning.
- A local official in northern Thanh Hoa Province on Saturday confirmed that four dog thieves were clubbed by locals on Friday after they were caught red-handed stealing dogs and fighting back with their home-made guns. The clubbing killed two and critically injured the two others.
- The Ministry of Transport recently proposed to the Prime Minister that the Bien Hoa- Phu My section- part of the Bien Hoa- Vung Tau Expressway project- be made an independent project to be implemented with the Public Private Partnership (PPP) approach. This independent project is slated for completion by 2020.
- At a Saturday awards presentation ceremony on ASEAN’s favorite brands, chair of the Vietnam Quality Association of HCMC stressed the country’s entry into ASEAN Economic Cooperation (AEC) next year would bring about numerous opportunities as well as challenges to local businesses. This calls for local businesses’ greater efforts to improve their product and service quality.
- Thailand has become this year’s champion after the dramatic return leg of the AFF Suzuki Cup 2014 final with Malaysia on Saturday night.
- State President Truong Tan Sang attended a Saturday ceremony to start work on the 76-hectare Vietnam-Japan University under the Vietnam National University- Hanoi. The estimated investment for the university is around US$365 million, including more than $200 million in official development aid from the Japanese government, and approximately $100 million from Japanese enterprises and organizations. Vietnam-Japan University is constructed in Hoa Lac High-Tech Park to the west of Hanoi.