JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Tuoi Tre’s readers rally to support Myanmar earthquake victims with generous donations

Tuoi Tre’s readers rally to support Myanmar earthquake victims with generous donations

Saturday, April 05, 2025, 11:02 GMT+7
Tuoi Tre’s readers rally to support Myanmar earthquake victims with generous donations
Tran Thi Nhung (yellow clothing), 85, from District 10, Ho Chi Minh City, donates VND2.5 million (US$97) to Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper to assist the victims of Myanmar's 7.7-magnitude earthquake. Photo: To Oanh

Many readers of Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper in Ho Chi Minh City have donated to support those affected by the recent earthquake in Myanmar.

As of Friday, nearly 500 readers had contributed over VND600 million (US$23,250) to aid the victims of the 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck Myanmar last Friday.

The ruling junta reported that the death toll had risen to 3,085, along with 4,715 injured and 341 missing by Thursday.

On Friday morning, 85-year-old Tran Thi Nhung from District 10, Ho Chi Minh City, donated VND2.5 million ($97) to Tuoi Tre to assist the people of Myanmar.

In addition to her own contribution, Nhung also donated $100 on behalf of her 87-year-old neighbor, Tran Thi Khi.

Tearfully, Nhung shared that she and her neighbor had traveled to Myanmar twice in 2014 and 2015.

“Watching the news about the earthquake, I felt deeply saddened and wanted to contribute something,” she said.

During his lunch break, 67-year-old Le Van Lam from Thu Duc City traveled by bus to the Tuoi Tre headquarters in Phu Nhuan Districtto donate VND2 million ($77), taken from his modest salary as a parking attendant.

Le Van Lam, 67, from Thu Duc City, donates VND2 million (US$77) to Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper to assist the victims of Myanmar's 7.7-magnitude earthquake. Photo: To Oanh
Le Van Lam, 67, from Thu Duc City, donates VND2 million (US$77) to Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper to assist the victims of Myanmar's 7.7-magnitude earthquake. Photo: To Oanh

“I’ve been waiting for my paycheck to help,” Lam said before rushing to catch his bus back for his afternoon shift.

An anonymous 86-year-old donor also contributed VND2 million, which had been sent by her daughter from abroad.

“My daughter knows the tragedy and called me, urging me to donate as soon as possible,” she said, adding another VND500,000 ($19) from her own funds.

Late on Friday afternoon, Vu Dang Hung from District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, donated VND1.5 million ($58) on behalf of his family.

“Two days ago, my family held an ‘internal campaign’ to contribute for the people of Myanmar,” he said.

Nguyen Tuyen, from District 1, also donated VND500,000 on behalf of her grandmother, Huynh Thi Huong.

“I just brought my grandmother back from a check-up at the hospital, but she insisted I donate for Myanmar,” Tuyen said.

From his small pension, 67-year-old Luan from District 11 also sent VND2 million to support the earthquake victims.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on X to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Bao Anh - To Oanh / Tuoi Tre News

More

Read more

;

VIDEOS

‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Latest news