JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Vietnamese baby girl mistakenly drinks gasoline

Vietnamese baby girl mistakenly drinks gasoline

Wednesday, October 12, 2022, 15:13 GMT+7
Vietnamese baby girl mistakenly drinks gasoline
A child undergoes a health check-up at Children’s Hospital 2 in Ho Chi Minh City. Photo: Duyen Phan / Tuoi Tre

Doctors at Children’s Hospital 2 in Ho Chi Minh City said on Tuesday that they had successfully saved a one-year-old girl who mistakenly drank gasoline from a soft drink bottle last week.

The girl, residing in Phu Yen Province, south-central Vietnam, was diagnosed with hydrocarbon pneumonia at a local hospital before being transferred to Children’s Hospital 2 in Ho Chi Minh.

The patient was intubated during the hospital transport and is currently in stable condition. 

The gasoline in the soft drink bottle, according to the patient's family, was not warned since it was placed in the refrigerator. 

They only found out after mistakenly allowing the toddler to drink the gasoline.

The girl immediately choked and was rushed to a hospital near her home for intensive treatment.

Doctor Vu Hiep Phat, head of the intensive care unit at Children’s Hospital 2, said that gasoline is intrinsically volatile, and ingesting gasoline by accident usually results in choking, vomiting, and respiratory failure.

Because gasoline can easily enter the pulmonary capillaries and alveoli, inflaming, and restricting lung ventilation.

After that, the patient will suffer a severe lack of oxygen and may even die.

Dr. Phat recommended against placing gasoline in bottles with beverage labels because it is not only possible to cause fires and explosions, but also easy to be confused with adult and child beverages.

Every year, there are roughly 10 incidents of mistaken gasoline consumption at Children's Hospital 2.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Linh To - Thuy Duong / Tuoi Tre News

Read more




‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Latest news

Vietnam urges industry to save energy during heatwave

Vietnam is turning off street lights and manufacturers are switching operations to off-peak hours to keep the national power system running amid record temperatures in some areas that have caused a surge in demand