JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

1 dead from botulism in Ho Chi Minh City

1 dead from botulism in Ho Chi Minh City

Thursday, May 25, 2023, 13:48 GMT+7
1 dead from botulism in Ho Chi Minh City
A patient poisoned with botulism receives treatment at Cho Ray Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City. Photo: Supplied

A 45-year-old man died this week from botulism poisoning despite receiving treatment from doctors at Gia Dinh People’s Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City.

The deceased, a resident of Thu Duc City under Ho Chi Minh City, was one of three recent patients poisoned with botulism, including two siblings who are recieving treatment at Cho Ray Hospital in the same city.

The man contracted botulism, a serious illness caused by clostridium botulinum, after eating fermented fish on May 13.

He was rushed to Gia Dinh People’s Hospital after developing symptoms of digestive disorder, fatigue, headache, dizziness, and diarrhea. Due to his critical condition, he was put on a ventilator.

The hospital pronounced him dead on Wednesday evening.

A vial of botulism antitoxins was distributed to the hospital to save the patient on Wednesday, the hospital said, adding that the patient succumbed to botulism before the antitoxin could be administered.

The Drug Administration of Vietnam under the Ministry of Health contacted the World Health Organization on Tuesday asking it for the supply of emergency botulism antitoxins for Vietnam to treat some cases infected with the illness.

The organization quickly confirmed that it would provide Vietnam with six vials of Botulism Antitoxin Heptavalent (BAT).

The shipment arrived in Ho Chi Minh City from Switzerland on Wednesday.

Botulism is a serious illness caused by clostridium botulinum, a poisonous substance in the bacteria found in badly preserved food. It is a rare disease in Vietnam and in the world, according to the administration.

As such, the supply of BAT is also limited worldwide, the administration said, adding that the price of this antitoxin is very high.

On May 20, three people in Ho Chi Minh City were hospitalized due to botulinum poisoning after two of them, who are siblings, ate cha lua (Vietnamese pork sausage) and the remaining man consumed fermented fish kept for too long.

The two siblings, aged 18 and 26, and the 45-year-old man developed symptoms of digestive disorder, fatigue, headache, dizziness, and diarrhea and quickly became worse later with muscle weakness, dysphagia, and diplopia.

In mid-May, three siblings contracted botulism after eating cha lua in Ho Chi Minh City as well.

They were saved after taking botulinum antitoxins shipped from central Quang Nam Province.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Tieu Bac - Thu Hien / Tuoi Tre News


Read more




‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Latest news

Sea festival kicks off in Nha Trang

This is also one of the important events to celebrate the 370th anniversary of the construction and development of Khanh Hoa (1653 - 2023)