JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Thai firm eyes investment in Laos wind farm to sell electricity to Vietnam

Friday, July 31, 2020, 16:17 GMT+7
Thai firm eyes investment in Laos wind farm to sell electricity to Vietnam
A wind farm in Vietnam. Photo: Ngoc Hien / Tuoi Tre

Thai renewable energy company BCPG plans to build Southeast Asia’s largest wind farm in Laos and sell its electricity to Vietnam.

The company announced it will spend US$840 million developing the facility, which has a capacity of 600 megawatts (MW), on 64,000 hectares in southern Laos, according to Bangkok Post.

The farm will be located near the Mekong River across the city of Ubon Ratchathani.

Electricity will be sold to Vietnam’s state-run Electricity Vietnam (EVN).

BCPG’s president and chief executive Bundit Sapianchai said his company plans to sign a power purchase agreement with EVN this October to kick-start the project, named ‘Swan.’

The company invests in the project through its subsidiary, Impact Energy Asia Development Co., which it owns 45 percent. The other 55 percent is held by Impact Electrons Siam.

Swan construction will start after the signing. The wind farm is expected to enter operation in 2023.

Bundit said Laos and Vietnam have an agreement to trade power across the border at a combined capacity of 5,000MW, so there is plenty of opportunity for investment.

BCPG previously took over the 114MW Nam San 3A and 3B hydropower plants from a firm in Laos to sell electricity to EVN.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Tuoi Tre News


Read more




Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Experience summer sand-boarding in Mui Ne

Sand-boarding, a popular activity amongst local children in the coastal tourism town of Mui Ne in south-central Vietnam, is attracting hundreds of tourists to the Red Sand Dunes

Young maple trees given better protection as Hanoi enters rainy season

The trees are currently growing well, with green leaves and healthy branches.

Hunting skinks for food in southern Vietnam

Skink meat is known to be soft, tasty, and highly nutritious.

Vietnamese-made app allows people to grow real veggies via smartphone

Nguyen Thi Duyen, a young engineer in Hanoi, developed the app and its related services to help busy people create their own veggie gardens.

Latest news

Vietnam, US share aligned interests, vision: Ambassador Kritenbrink

U.S. Ambassador to Vietnam Daniel Kritenbrink is known as the ambassador of “the firsts” for his historic visits to Truong Son National Cemetery in Quang Tri Province and Ham Rong Bridge in Thanh Hoa Province. During his tenure, two U.S. aircraft carriers visited the Southeast Asian country.