Renovation on the mausoleum of King Tu Duc, the fourth king of the Nguyen dynasty (1802-1945), Vietnam’s last monarchy reigns, in central Hue city kicked off on May 22, but the site remains open to tourists during this time.
According to Phan Thanh Hai, head of the Hue Relic Preservation Center, the VND26.2 bil (US$1.2 mil) , 34-month project will see massive renovations to Xung Khiem Ta, Du Khiem Ta (the two houses on the lake where the Tu Duc King came for flower contemplating, poem reciting and book reading) and Khiem Cung Mon (the gate to the main palace).
These three items, built around 1864 and considered local marvels which are typical of the Nguyen Kings’ architecture, have sustained considerable damage in the past few years.
This overhaul is considered the most comprehensive and radical so far as all faulty items will be replaced, Hai added.
The Tu Duc Mausoleum, one of the most magnificent edifices constructed by the Nguyen Kings, encompasses the king’s tomb located in a narrow valley in Thuy Xuan commune and nearly 50 other items.
Tu Duc King (1829 – 1883), whose reign was the longest of all the Nguyen Kings, had the mausoleum built around twenty years before he passed away.