A teenage girl in the northern Vietnamese province of Phu Tho was in a critical condition after reportedly being bitten by an ant on Saturday morning, according to the Vietnam News Agency.
T.H.T., 14, who lives in Tho Son Commune, Doan Hung District, was admitted to the emergency ward of the local general hospital at around 6:30 am that day.
The young patient was drowsy and did not respond to anyone, with a fast pulse and red rashes found across her body.
The girl was also wheezing and suffered edema on her face and lips, while doctors were unable to measure her blood pressure.
She was diagnosed with severe anaphylactic shock and given adrenaline for about five minutes before regaining her consciousness.
T.’s health condition improved on the afternoon of the same day but she was still closely monitored in the emergency room.
According to her mother, T. was sleeping at home when she felt a pain on her left arm.
The mother then found an ant on T.’s arm.
After a few minutes, the girl suffered difficulty breathing, chest tightness, a red rash and started losing her consciousness.
Anaphylaxis, or severe allergic reaction, can occur at any time and under any circumstance and the consequences are extremely dangerous if the condition is not promptly treated.
It is advisable that one should go to the nearest medical facility if noticing abnormal signs after being stung by bees or bitten by ants, taking medicine, or eating a certain type of food.