U.S. Ambassador Marc E. Knapper suggested additional funding from the U.S. government for unexploded ordnance (UXO) clearance in Vietnam beyond 2025.
Knapper made this statement during a meeting with deputy chairman of the Quang Tri administration Hoang Nam on Wednesday as part of his working visit to the province.
Nam noted that Quang Tri has played a significant role in the normalization of relations between the two countries through activities such as the search for U.S. soldiers listed as missing in action (MIA) during the war and UXO clearance, as well as various humanitarian and socio-economic development initiatives.
Quang Tri was the first province in Vietnam to implement UXO clearance programs in 1996 and MIA efforts in 1998.
"These activities have become highlights in the process of normalizing Vietnam-U.S. relations," said Nam.
The deputy chairman requested additional U.S. support for bomb and mine clearance as well as for the expedition of the search for MIA.
"The province has completed clearance of about 40 percent of the identified heavily contaminated areas. Quang Tri aims to become the first province in the country to be safe and free from bomb and mine accidents by 2035," he stated.
|
U.S. Ambassador Marc E. Knapper (L, 2nd) is seen talking with deputy chairman of the Quang Tri administration Hoang Nam during his working visit to the province, located in north-central Vietnam, April 2, 2025. Photo: Hoang Tao / Tuoi Tre |
In response to these proposals, Ambassador Knapper said that the U.S. is making the utmost effort to expedite support for Vietnam in searching of missing persons through archival research, DNA analysis, and other means.
He expressed appreciation for the province's patience during the U.S. review of its foreign aid programs and affirmed that he is proposing continued funding for UXO clearance activities in Vietnam beyond 2025.
In the immediate future, Ambassador Knapper mentioned that the U.S. will implement the Pacific Partnership program in Quang Tri in 2025.
This program, organized by the U.S. Army, aims to enhance coordination and disaster response capabilities, promote medical cooperation, and infrastructure development. He expressed hope that Quang Tri would support the U.S. to organize the program.
Previously, the U.S. government had suspended funding for projects addressing UXO left from the war in certain Vietnamese localities, including Quang Binh, as part of the Trump administration’s decision requiring all foreign non-governmental organizations receiving U.S. funding to cease operations for 90 days pending reviews. However, these projects recently resumed.
On the morning of the same day, the diplomat visited a UXO clearance site operated by PeaceTrees Vietnam, a non-profit organization funded by the U.S., and a location where MIA searches are conducted.
Ambassador Knapper personally detonated a dangerous cluster bomb, contributing to joint efforts to restore safety to the area.
Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!