A nine-year-old boy in the north-central Vietnamese province of Thanh Hoa had one of his hands amputated after a flashlight exploded while charging in his home last week.
L.V.N., born in 2010, was rushed to Thanh Hoa Province Children’s Hospital with a severely injured right hand on the morning of November 16.
The little patient’s family said he had tried to unplug a flashlight from an electric socket at around 7:30 am that same day after he heard a ‘pop’ coming from the device, which was being charged.
The device suddenly blew up while N. was holding it in his right hand, the family said.
The explosion severely damaged all the fingers of the hand.
N.’s family first rushed him to a district hospital, where the boy was given first aid before he was transferred to Thanh Hoa Province Children’s Hospital.
Doctors performed emergency surgery to amputate the patient’s injured right hand at 10:20 am on the same day as the hand was too badly damaged to be saved.
N. is recovering well after the operation, hospital director Le Dang Khoa told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper on Wednesday.
“Only minor pain remains at the incision,” Khoa said.
Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!