A Briton who had recovered from the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) was released from the hospital in the central province of Thua Thien - Hue on Saturday morning after over two weeks of treatment.
Hue Central Hospital in the namesake capital city of Thua Thien - Hue completed procedures to discharge the 58-year-old British man, who is identified as Vietnam’s 33rd case, after having treated him since March 10.
His two latest test results all came back negative for the novel coronavirus.
Upon his discharge, the man said he appreciates the doctors at Hue Central Hospital who took care of him and made his recovery possible, adding that he will return to Vietnam soon to continue his unfinished trip.
The Briton came to Vietnam on flight VN0054 from London that arrived at Noi Bai International Airport in Hanoi on March 2.
He was on the same flight as Vietnam's patient No. 17, a Hanoi woman who was diagnosed with COVID-19 on March 6 after the country had gone three weeks without any new infection.
The British man was placed in quarantine at Hue Central Hospital on March 10 and had been treated there until his release on Saturday.
According to Prof. Dr. Pham Nhu Hiep, director of the infirmary, the British man will have to undergo mandatory 14-day home quarantine after leaving the hospital.
“We also tested the doctors and health workers working in the isolation area where the patient was treated at Hue Central Hospital and all the results have returned negative for the virus,” Hiep said.
At Saturday morning’s ceremony, Hiep also said that another British citizen, Vietnam’s 49th COVID-19 patient who is also being treated at the infirmary, has had his first test result returning negative for COVID-19.
On the same morning, chairman of the provincial People’s Committee Phan Ngoc Tho asked all local accommodation and lodging establishments to stop receiving guests from 12:00 pm Saturday.
Tho also advised people to have breakfast and drink coffee at home from now on, instead of going to eateries and cafés.
Businesses are asked to comply with suspension orders while promoting online sales and doorstep delivery in times of COVID-19.
Vietnam has confirmed 169 COVID-19 patients so far, with 21 having been discharged from the hospital as of Saturday morning.
Three patients in Da Nang, including a Vietnamese and two British nationals, were released on Friday.
No fatality related to the disease has been officially reported to date.
Thua Thien - Hue Province has reported only two infections of COVID-19.