JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Three die, two hospitalized after allegedly eating ‘heartbreak grass’ in Vietnam

Three die, two hospitalized after allegedly eating ‘heartbreak grass’ in Vietnam

Monday, July 13, 2020, 11:07 GMT+7

Three people died while two have been hospitalized after they mistakenly ate a poisonous plant called ‘heartbreak grass’ in Vietnam on the weekend.

The five people had picked vegetables from a forest in Vi Xuyen District, northern Ha Giang Province to make some soup on Sunday, according to the Vietnam News Agency.

After eating the soup, the group felt generally unwell, experienced nausea, and suffered numbness of the limbs and mouth so they called their families for help.

The five, all women, were admitted to Vi Xuyen General Hospital immediately.

They all came from the same village.

Three of them died upon hospitalization, including Tran Thi H., 53, Sam Thi D., 58, and Hoang Thi N., 49.

The other two, 44-year-old Dang Thi M. and 60-year-old Tan Thi K., are in emergency care.

Hospital doctors said the five could have eaten the Gelsemium elegans, aka ‘heartbreak grass,’ a poisonous plant of the family Gelsemiaceae.   

The bodies of the deceased have been handed over to their families for funeral rites, Bui Van Toan, director of the Vi Xuyen General Hospital, said, adding that M. and K. have been transferred to Ha Giang General Hospital, a higher-leval medical facility, for treatment.

The two are conscious and being closely monitored, the Ha Giang institution said.

Local authorities visited the dead’s families and gave them VND10 million (US$433) each in support on Sunday evening.

The heartbreak grass is classified by the Vietnamese healthcare sector as one of the most poisonous plants.

Anecdotes say that a person would die after eating just three leaves of the plant.

Gelsemium elegans plants look similar to herbs and vegetables and grow near them so there is a risk of mistaking the lethal plants for the benign ones.   

The Gelsemium elegans has been used for its sedative properties to treat anxiety and pain but ingestion can be lethal, according to The UMass Division of Medical Toxicology in New England, Massachusetts.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Tuoi Tre News

More

Read more

;

Photos

VIDEOS

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Experience summer sand-boarding in Mui Ne

Sand-boarding, a popular activity amongst local children in the coastal tourism town of Mui Ne in south-central Vietnam, is attracting hundreds of tourists to the Red Sand Dunes

Latest news