Three female dancers were killed as a club in northern Vietnam caught fire due to a fireworks accident early this week.
The three dancers died at X5 club in Vinh Tuong District, Vinh Phuc Province, which was hit by a conflagration around 11:30 pm on Monday, Bui Minh Tien, a chief police officer in Vinh Phuc, told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper on Tuesday.
Police were promptly mobilized to the scene but faced obstacles during the rescue mission as the nightlife spot is located far from residential areas and has no emergency exit.
They were only able to break through the building wall and search for the victims about 2:00 am on Tuesday.
“Currently, police have identified the three dancers who were stuck and killed in the fire," Tien said.
"The three women were hired by the club owner to attend a birthday party there."
The fire may have started when sparks from fireworks used in the party came in contact with hydrogen-filled balloons in the room, the policeman said.