JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Omicron subvariant BA.2.12.1 with immunity evading property found in southern Vietnam

Omicron subvariant BA.2.12.1 with immunity evading property found in southern Vietnam

Friday, July 22, 2022, 19:24 GMT+7
Omicron subvariant BA.2.12.1 with immunity evading property found in southern Vietnam
Deputy Health Minister Nguyen Thi Lien Huong speaks during an online meeting held at the headquarters of the Ministry of Health in Hanoi, July 21, 2022. Photo: Duong Lieu / Tuoi Tre

The southern region of Vietnam has detected the BA.2.12.1 subvariant of the Omicron, which is 1.8 times more likely to escape immunity than the BA.2 lineage, the Pasteur Institute in Ho Chi Minh City said on Thursday.

The institute made the statement during a meeting held online by the Ministry of Health on the afternoon of the day.

The number of new COVID-19 cases has been on the rise in the last two to three weeks and is projected to reach 400,000-500,000 infections a month, according to Ngu Duy Nghia, head of the department of communicable disease control at the National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology.

New infections have been recorded in all 28 northern provinces and cities, with Hanoi dominating the caseload.

All these cases were caused by the Omicron variant.

Among the 28 localities, the Vietnamese capital city accounted for the highest number out of 3,133 deaths caused by the virus in the northern region in the first six months of this year.

A representative of the Pasteur Institute in Ho Chi Minh City said that 30 recently-sequenced samples proved the existence of the BA.2.12.1 subvariant among infections documented in the southern region, after the BA.4 and BA.5 sublineages.

The BA.2.12.1 subvariant, together with the BA.4 and BA.5, was responsible for 70 percent of the 30 infections, while the BA.2 lineage caused the remaining 30 percent.

The Pasteur Institute representative noted that the BA.2.12.1 subvariant is 1.8 times more immunity-invasive than the BA.2 and emphasized the importance of vaccination.

The BA. 2.12. 1 was once the dominant form among new U.S. virus cases in May, when the States averaged more than 100,000 confirmed infections per day, according to The New York Times.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

The southern region of Vietnam has detected the BA.2.12.1 subvariant of the Omicron, which is 1.8 times more likely to escape immunity than the BA.2 lineage, the Pasteur Institute in Ho Chi Minh City said on Thursday.

The institute made the statement during a meeting held online by the Ministry of Health on the afternoon of the day.

The number of new COVID-19 cases has been on the rise in the last two to three weeks and is projected to reach 400,000-500,000 infections a month, according to Ngu Duy Nghia, head of the department of communicable disease control at the National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology.

New infections have been recorded in all 28 northern provinces and cities, with Hanoi dominating the caseload.

All these cases were caused by the Omicron variant.

Among the 28 localities, the Vietnamese capital city accounted for the highest number out of 3,133 deaths caused by the virus in the northern region in the first six months of this year.

A representative of the Pasteur Institute in Ho Chi Minh City said that 30 recently-sequenced samples proved the existence of the BA.2.12.1 subvariant among infections documented in the southern region, after the BA.4 and BA.5 sublineages.

The BA.2.12.1 subvariant, together with the BA.4 and BA.5, was responsible for 70 percent of the 30 infections, while the BA.2 lineage caused the remaining 30 percent.

The Pasteur Institute representative noted that the BA.2.12.1 subvariant is 1.8 times more immunity-invasive than the BA.2 and emphasized the importance of vaccination.

The BA. 2.12. 1 was once the dominant form among new U.S. virus cases in May, when the States averaged more than 100,000 confirmed infections per day, according to The New York Times.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Bao Anh - Duong Lieu / Tuoi Tre News

More

Read more

;

Photos

VIDEOS

‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Latest news