Three people were hospitalized for treatment for food poisoning after allegedly eating toxic mangrove horseshoe crab in the south-central Vietnamese province of Khanh Hoa on Saturday, the Khanh Hoa General Hospital said on Sunday.
N.V.S., 35, is the worst case but was saved from a cardiac arrest, a respiratory arrest, and a deep coma by doctors at the Khanh Hoa General Hospital.
His prognosis remains poor, and he still requires mechanical ventilation.
The two other patients, N.G.H., 16, and N.P.Q., 19, are back in stable condition, with the latter recovering consciousness.
S., H., and Q. were among six people that allegedly ate a mangrove horseshoe crab (Carcinoscorpius rotundicauda), which is known to contain lethal tetrodotoxin and is often misidentified as edible horseshoe crabs (Tachypleus tridentatus), at a restaurant in Khanh Hoa’s Ninh Hoa Town at around 9:00 pm on Saturday.
|This supplied photo shows a sea species suspected to be a mangrove horseshoe crab (Carcinoscorpius rotundicauda) that was misidentified by a restaurant as a horseshoe crab (Tachypleus tridentatus) in Ninh Hoa Town, Khanh Hoa Province, Vietnam.|
The remainder of the group suffered from vomiting and dizziness.
Four other people who ate another serving of the same species retained good health.
The restaurant owner later told the food safety watchdog that they could not determine if the seafood they served were horseshoe crabs or mangrove horseshoe crabs.
Local police are investigating the case.
Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!