JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Vietnamese man gets poisoned after eating cicada larvae shells

Vietnamese man gets poisoned after eating cicada larvae shells

Thursday, May 25, 2023, 14:16 GMT+7
Vietnamese man gets poisoned after eating cicada larvae shells
The cicada larvae shells that a Vietnamese patient ate and got poisoned after that. Photo: Supplied

A 34-year-old Vietnamese man has been hospitalized for food poisoning treatment after he ate more than 10 cicada larva shells, misunderstanding that they were caterpillar fungi.

The patient, a native of south-central Binh Thuan Province, was admitted to Cho Ray Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City, said Nguyen Thi Thuy Ngan, deputy head of the hospital’s tropical disease department, on Wednesday.

When he was working in his garden on Sunday, the man discovered mushroom-shaped cicada larva shells and thought that they were caterpillar fungi.

He took around 12-14 shells home for a late-night meal.

The man immediately developed the symptoms of fatigue, headache, stomach pain, vomiting, and muscle weakness.

He was rushed to a local hospital in Binh Thuan before being transferred to Cho Ray Hospital for further treatment.

Ngan added that he was being treated in the intensive care unit with improved health conditions.

She advised local people not to eat cicada larva shells, which resemble caterpillar fungi in appearance.

People should buy caterpillar fungi, which have a number of health benefits, with clear origin and quality, or they can also seek expert advice before buying them.

According to the doctor, newly-hatched cicada larvae can sit nearby fungal spores which will attack and live as parasites on the cicada larvae, and gradually change host tissues and grow into fungi.

These fungi absorb nutrients from the host until the latter’s death and continue to grow bigger than the host. Hence, they are called caterpillar fungi.

As parasitic fungi could be good for health or poisonous, the caterpillar fungus therefore could be nutrient-rich or turn poisonous, she said.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Hong Ngan - Thu Hien / Tuoi Tre News


Read more




‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Latest news

Sea festival kicks off in Nha Trang

This is also one of the important events to celebrate the 370th anniversary of the construction and development of Khanh Hoa (1653 - 2023)