JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

1 fisherman dies, 2 hospitalized after eating puffer fish roe in southern Vietnam

1 fisherman dies, 2 hospitalized after eating puffer fish roe in southern Vietnam

Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 13:25 GMT+7
1 fisherman dies, 2 hospitalized after eating puffer fish roe in southern Vietnam
Tran Phuong Binh, one of three fishermen who were poisoned after eating puffer fish roe, is seen in medical treatment and has gradually recovered. Photo: Chi Cong / Tuoi Tre

Three fishermen in Kien Giang Province, southern Vietnam were poisoned after eating canh chua (Vietnamese sweet and sour soup) with puffer fish roe, with one of them dead before being hospitalized, a local hospital representative confirmed on Monday morning.

The deceased, named N.X.H., a native of north-central Ha Tinh Province, was found dead on Saturday night.

Two others, Tran Phuong Binh and Bui Dinh Linh, were rushed to the Kien Giang General Hospital at around 0:12 on Sunday.

Binh, a 46-year-old native of neighboring An Giang Province, and Linh, a 41-year-old resident of Kien Giang’s Ha Tien City, were admitted to the hospital where they were diagnosed with puffer fish poisoning.

Both of them developed symptoms such as lip and tongue numbness, headache, and fatigue.

Their health conditions became stable after one day of intensive care and they are being monitored at the hospital, said Huynh Trong Tam, head of the hospital’s general planning department.

They are expected to be discharged in the next few days, the doctor said.

The puffer fish roe that the three fishermen consumed and got poisoned. Photo: Chi Cong / Tuoi Tre

The puffer fish roe that the three fishermen consumed and got poisoned. Photo: Chi Cong / Tuoi Tre

Bui Dinh Linh told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper that he, Binh, and H. caught a big puffer fish when they were fishing some 50 kilometers away from Nam Du Island, which is off the coast of Kien Giang, at around 5:00 pm last Saturday.

“We often eat puffer fish and remain fine," Linh said.

“We cooked canh chua with the puffer fish caught last Saturday, which had roe, and drank a little wine.

“H. died four hours later, while Binh and I felt numb and shortness of breath and were hospitalized."

Those who want to consume puffer fish need to process them carefully and remove parts such as the liver, bile, and roe that contain many toxins to avoid being poisoned, according to doctors at the Kien Giang General Hospital.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Hong Ngan - Chi Cong / Tuoi Tre News

More

Read more

;

Photos

VIDEOS

‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Latest news

Football chaos as Paris Olympics kicks off

Israel's footballers later Wednesday took on Mali under the watchful eye of 1,000 police officers, with authorities erecting an 'anti-terrorist perimeter' and braced for possible disruption around the stadium