A 50-year-old man died of suspected anaphylactic shock on Wednesday in Gia Lai Province, located in Vietnam’s Central Highlands, after taking pills he bought from a pharmacy, a local hospital said on Thursday.
The victim, 50-year-old N.V.L., from Gia Lai Province’s Chu Prong District, had a history of allergies to medicine, according to his family.
On Wednesday, L. took four different types of over-the-counter pills that he had purchased at a local pharmacy to treat his own eye diseases.
The types of medicine the man consumed remain unknown.
Later in the day, after taking the pills, L. developed a widespread itchy rash, believed to result from a possible drug allergy.
Consequently, he sought initial treatment at a local health station.
However, he passed out and lost consciousness while using the restroom, prompting his family to rush him to the emergency department of the Gia Lai General Hospital.
According to medical staff at the hospital, L. arrived at the emergency department at around 6:35 pm on Wednesday.
He presented with symptoms of cardiac arrest, respiratory arrest, cold skin, and dilated pupils.
Doctors attributed L.’s cause of death to anaphylactic shock that occurred outside the hospital.
They recommend that people seek professional medical attention when experiencing pain or illness symptoms, especially when there is a notable prevalence of eye pain.
To address eye pain, patients should avoid self-treatment and must adhere to the prescribed medication regimen, particularly if they have a history of allergies to drug components.