JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

​Vietnamese woman left blind in one eye after using injectable filler

​Vietnamese woman left blind in one eye after using injectable filler

Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 15:35 GMT+7

A woman in Ho Chi Minh City has had permanent vision loss in one eye after having a filler injected during a non-surgical nose job in mid-July.

On July 16, M.T.C.D. visited a beauty salon in Ho Chi Minh City’s District 4, where she had a technician put under the skin of her nose a filler containing hyaluronic acid, a main lubricating component of fluids and skin, in hope for a better looking facial appearance.

But five minutes after the injection, D. felt an acute pain in the eye region that spread to her forehead, with her left eye blurring and failing to open.

The 30-year-old woman was rushed to a local hospital where doctors found her to suffer from an allergic reaction to the filler and from fat necrosis, a condition stemming from an injury to an area of fatty tissue.

The patient was transferred to a more advanced infirmary where the sight of her left eye was declared lost, and several major nerves went completely inactive, but the other eye was still able to respond to light, according to doctors.

She also showed bruises around the forehead and nose top, and congealing blood in the nostrils.

D. told Thanh Nien (Young People) newspaper that she took a xe om (motorcycle taxi) ride from her hometown in Vietnam’s Mekong Delta to Ho Chi Minh City without her family’s knowledge after learning of the VND2 million ($86) filler-injecting service at the beauty shop.

Upon the tragic incident, the salon had promised to cover her hospital fees, she said.

D. added that she was hiding the incident from the family by telling them that she visited the hospital for digestive disorder treatment only.

The Ho Chi Minh City Department of Health has stepped in by requiring the two hospitals having treated D. to report her problems.

At least five other cases of side effects associated with cosmetic filler were recently noted in medical institutions in Hanoi.

In the most severe case, the victim had a stroke after a filler injected right into her veins was carried by blood throughout the body.

Technicians at Vietnamese beauty salons are often untrained in surgery, which means a syringe needle may be inadvertently made to send injectable filler to the vein, according to Hoang Thanh Tuan, a Hanoi-based aesthetic doctor.

Tuan advised distinguishing medical-grade liquid silicon from cosmetic filler, since the former tend to cause vein blockage and swellings.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Thai Xuan / Tuoi Tre News

Read more

18 die of rabies in Vietnam in Jan-Feb

Nearly 70,000 people suffering dog and cat bites received treatment at hospitals and got vaccinated against rabies during the two-month period

3 days ago
;

Photos

VIDEOS

‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Latest news