JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Woman, six grandchildren suffer gas asphyxiation in Ho Chi Minh City

Thursday, June 13, 2019, 14:41 GMT+7
Woman, six grandchildren suffer gas asphyxiation in Ho Chi Minh City
Gas asphyxiation victims are treated at the hospital in Ho Chi Minh City, June 12, 2019. Photo: Chau Tuan / Tuoi Tre

An elderly woman and her six grandchildren were found passing out after breathing in toxic fumes emitted by a power generator inside their house in Ho Chi Minh City on Wednesday, with one of the kids passing away at the hospital later the same day.

The incident was discovered by Le Van Muoi Hai, 65, when he returned to his home in Hiep Binh Phuoc Ward, Thu Duc District at around 1:00 pm.

Hai repeatedly knocked on the locked door until one of his grandchildren eventually opened it but appeared unwell.

The man entered the residence and found that his wife, 61-year-old Tran Thi Phung, and their five other grandchildren were unconscious.

All of the victims showed signs of gas asphyxiation.

Hai sought help from his neighbors and immediately brought the victims to the hospital for emergency treatment.

Their granddaughter, eight-year-old Le Thi Bich Tr., later died at the infirmary, while another child was in a critical condition.

Phung and their four other grandkids, aged three to eleven, have regained consciousness and are now in stable conditions.

According to Hai, the family had failed to pay their power bills for several months and instead was using a power generator to supply electricity in the house.

Officers probe the house in Thu Duc District, Ho Chi Minh City. Photo: Xuan Doan / Tuoi Tre

Officers probe the house in Thu Duc District, Ho Chi Minh City. Photo: Xuan Doan / Tuoi Tre

Police officers have probed the scene and examined the device to assist their investigation.

In late April 2018, a 27-year-old man was taken to a hospital in a critical condition while his wife and their four-year-old son died from carbon monoxide poisoning in the southern province of Binh Duong.

The power was cut in their neighborhood that day and the family was running a power generator at their home.

The power generator is kept by police officers. Photo: Xuan Doan / Tuoi Tre

The power generator is kept by police officers. Photo: Xuan Doan / Tuoi Tre

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Tuoi Tre News

More

Read more

;

Photos

VIDEOS

Experience summer sand-boarding in Mui Ne

Sand-boarding, a popular activity amongst local children in the coastal tourism town of Mui Ne in south-central Vietnam, is attracting hundreds of tourists to the Red Sand Dunes

Young maple trees given better protection as Hanoi enters rainy season

The trees are currently growing well, with green leaves and healthy branches.

Hunting skinks for food in southern Vietnam

Skink meat is known to be soft, tasty, and highly nutritious.

Vietnamese-made app allows people to grow real veggies via smartphone

Nguyen Thi Duyen, a young engineer in Hanoi, developed the app and its related services to help busy people create their own veggie gardens.

Chinese tourists hit by Vietnamese over dine and dash

Four Chinese were reportedly injured, with one having a broken arm.

Latest news