A 20-year-old girl was found dead, while her father and younger brother were hospitalized after sleeping in the family car with the air conditioner switched on during a blackout in Hai Phong City, northern Vietnam on Thursday evening.
The fatal incident took place in Truong Son Town, An Lao District, a local official told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper on Friday.
When the power supply was restored in the area, a family member came to wake up the trio and found them lying unconscious in an old Toyota Camry, which was manufactured over 30 years ago.
They were rushed to Kien An General Hospital where the daughter, Pham Minh H., was confirmed dead, while the father, Pham Van T., 49, and the son, Pham Ngoc K., 15, slipped into a coma.
The father and the son are now out of danger.
Doctors of the hospital warned that leaving the air conditioner on and the windows closed when a car is parked will result in the content of oxygen in the car dwindling and that of carbon monoxide increasing, thereby causing people sleeping inside to suffocate from inhaling the deadly carbon monoxide.