Three family members, including a newborn, were hospitalized on Monday after they were found lying unconscious on their bed next to a warm coal pot in an enclosed 10-square-meter room in Ha Tinh Province, north-central Vietnam.
They were admitted to the Ha Tinh General Hospital at around 8:40 am, when they were diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning, confirmed a representative of the hospital on the same day.
The victims included Nguyen Thi Anh Tuyen, 26, her mother Hoang Thi Hong, 59, and Tuyen’s 12-day-old child.
Tuyen and her mother were severely poisoned and were set to be transferred to an upper-level hospital for further treatment, while the baby was receiving oxygen therapy.
Earlier, concerned local neighbors contacted Nguyen Xuan Thong, Tuyen’s husband, urging him to return home promptly upon noticing unusual signs at her residence in Loc Ha District around 7:00 am on the same day.
Thong, along with the neighbors, forcibly broke open the door of the house and found the three victims lying unconscious on the bed beside a heated coal pot.
Local police and healthcare workers were dispatched to the scene to give the victims first aid before rushing them to the hospital.