A college student in Vietnam who participated in a Halloween costume party at her junior college has suffered first-degree burns after she was set alit in a horrifying wardrobe malfunction during the event.
The Halloween party was held on Wednesday evening at the campus of the Junior College for Pedagogy in Nghe An Province in north-central Vietnam.
Nearly 400 students participated in the event organized by the school’s students’ union, according to union president Le Van Luu.
The accident had been kept undisclosed by the students’ union until Friday.
Junior-year student L.T.T., 20, arrived at the party at around 7:10 pm, wearing a costume made out of painted papers.
As T. made her way into the gymnasium where the main event was happening, her costume caught on fire from a nearby candle-lit gourd, Luu said.
The fire consumed the entire flammable costume that T. was wearing in seconds, as nearby students and professors used water to put out the flame and brought the girl to a nearby hospital.
As her wounds were severe, T. was transferred to the National Burns Hospital in Hanoi for further treatment the same night, where doctors said she suffers from first-degree burns covering over 30 percent of her body.
“It is an unfortunate incident, and we’re putting top priority into helping T. recover,” Luu said, adding that the school board had held a meeting to review the responsibility of those involved.
Halloween is a celebration observed in several countries on October 31, which begins the three-day observance of the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead.
In Vietnam, a country that does not traditionally observe Halloween, celebrations are mostly limited to costume parties without its cultural implications.