A woman was killed while her two children were hospitalized after eating poisonous snails in Nha Trang, a popular beach city in the south-central Vietnamese province of Khanh Hoa.
The victim, 44-year-old V.T.A., and her two sons, aged six and 15, were brought to the Khanh Hoa Province General Hospital on Thursday evening, after they had had the snails for dinner that day.
A. suffered the most serious poisoning among the three and was already unconscious at the time of her arrival at the hospital.
She passed away two hours later at the infirmary.
Her younger son was in stable conditions on Friday and her other child was discharged from the hospital on Saturday.
|Poisonous snails announced by the Institute of Oceanography. Photo: Phan Song Ngan / Tuoi Tre|
The husband said he had also tasted one of the snails, thus the poison was not strong enough to cause serious harm.
Given the samples provided by the husband, doctors believed that the victims had consumed a type of poisonous mud snail.
Many residents in Khanh Hoa have suffered serious food poisoning after eating snails.
The Nha Trang-based Institute of Oceanography previously announced a list of poisonous snails to prevent such cases.