A total of 5,655 people placed in quarantine in Hanoi after arriving from abroad have all tested negative for the novel coronavirus that causes the acute respiratory disease (COVID-19) in people, according to the city’s chairman Nguyen Duc Chung.
They were the second batch of Vietnamese nationals and tourists who arrived at Noi Bai International Airport in Hanoi from overseas since March 18, Chung said on Sunday morning.
Vietnam has mandated that all arrivals from foreign countries from March 21 be placed under centralized isolation for 14 days.
Previously, only those arriving from epidemic-hit areas had to be quarantined.
“All of the 5,655 cases were sampled and all [results] turned out negative [for the virus],” Chung said.
He added that all operations at centralized quarantine camps in Hanoi are functioning well with no difficuties having emerged as yet.
Chung said that Hanoi authorities have also screened 3,082 arrivals who had previously not been subject to the mandatory quarantine.
Of these cases, 1,700 have been sampled with eight testing positive for the novel coronavirus, while nearly 1,400 others are still waiting to be tested.
“The positive cases have been timely isolated and prevented [from spreading],” Chung said.
Hanoi has reported 73 cases of COVID-19 infections so far, with 25 being traced to a major hospital.
The city has been asked to review its COVID-19 preparedness to make sure it is ready even when citywide lockdown must be imposed to curb the spread of the disease, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc said during a teleconference on Sunday.
Nationwide, 194 COVID-19 patients have been confirmed, 55 of whom had recovered and been discharged from the hospital by Monday morning.
No fatality related to the disease has been recorded in Vietnam.
The novel coronavirus has infected nearly 722,200 people and killed about 34,000 globally, according to Ministry of Health statistics. Nearly 152,000 cases have recovered worldwide.