JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Vietnam man damages gullet after trying ‘home remedies’ to remove stuck fish bone

Vietnam man damages gullet after trying ‘home remedies’ to remove stuck fish bone

Saturday, April 11, 2020, 16:10 GMT+7
Vietnam man damages gullet after trying ‘home remedies’ to remove stuck fish bone
A patient's esophagus ruptures caused by a fish bone is seen in this X-ray image supplied by Can Tho Otorhinolaryngology Hospital in Can Tho City, Vietnam.

A man was hospitalized at a hospital in the Mekong Delta city of Can Tho this week for esophagus ruptures after trying various home remedies to dislodge a fish bone stuck in his throat, the hospital said on Friday.

The patient, 51-year-old T.V.T. from neighboring Soc Trang Province, had recovered after receiving treatment at Can Tho Otorhinolaryngology Hospital in the namesake city, doctors said.

According to his family, T. got a fish bone stuck in his throat while eating snakehead fish.

Deeming it unthreatening, he resorted to prevalent Vietnamese folk knowledge and attempted multiple home remedies, including swallowing cooked rice and bananas without chewing, and having others massage his throat, among others.

The remedies did not help, as it turned out a few days later that the fish bone had sunk even deeper into his esophagus wall, causing him extreme pain and rendering him unable to eat.

Only after four days of only drinking water due to the pain did T. finally resorted to seeking professional help by visiting Can Tho Otorhinolaryngology Hospital, which specializes in ear, nose and throat problems.

Through an endoscopy, doctors successfully removed the three-centimeter foreign object from the man’s gullet.

The fish bone was found to have punctured both sides of his esophagus wall, with yellowish, odorous pus forming at the wounds.

The doctors said that T. was fortunate as the abscess was relatively small had not spread to the mediastinum area, which would have made matters more complicated.

Dr. Ho Le Hoai Nhan from Can Tho Otorhinolaryngology Hospital cautioned that attempts to swallow or rub down foreign objects stuck in a person’s throat can worsen the situation.

There have been cases where foreign objects in a patient’s throat have caused mediastinal abscess and blood vessel ruptures, which can be lethal, Nhan said.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Tuoi Tre News

More

Read more

;

Photos

VIDEOS

‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Latest news